EXH Small Stone mods...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was going through my pile of extra pedals here testing stuff and seeing what I wanted to sell when I ran across my old NYC Small Stone:

18922168_10155450338642425_7858728733071766493_n.jpg

I forgot how cool it sounds...I've been using a custom shop Phase 90 for the last several years and I'm really happy with it but I'm motivated to send this one to Analogman to have him fix the volume drop:

eh.gif

Small Stone Phaser with mods
The Small Stone is one of the coolest phasers made. In 2005 they now come with true bypass, but the volume is cut a little when ON, while you usually want it at least as loud when ON. Our mod sets the volume the same, and includes an internal trim pot so you can set the volume just where you want it. We also put a second trim pot inside to control the FEEDBACK when you have the COLOR switch up. If left alone, the pedal will feedback and whistle when the volume is increased. This allows reducing the feedback to keep the sound OK. It also allows you to make the COLOR UP sound closer to the sound of the COLOR DOWN sound if you don't like it to be so crazy. Or if you want the whistling feedback you can dial some in.

Here is a picture of the trim pots
to give you an idea. They are marked at our favorite settings (no volume loss, normal extra amount of feedback in COLOR mode). Here is a closeup picture of a buyanalogman.com . The new website uses a shopping cart for everything so it's very easy to buy multiple items or add in options. It allows using paypal in addition to several other payment methods including credit cards. It also keeps track of status, tracking numbers, etc and allow editing orders after they are placed so it's best to use our new website.

Modifying your Small Stone
We will put these volume and trim pots inside your Small Stone and adjust for no volume loss or squeal. This mod is $40 if you have a new (2004 or later usually) Small Stone which already has true bypass. To check for true bypass, open it up and look at the switch. It will have a blue switch with 6 or 7 wires on it if it has true bypass. If you want a true bypass mod PLUS the volume and feedback mod it is $70. Please fill out and send in our
MOD FORM which also explains your procedure for sending in the pedal.

We also can do an expression pedal mod for manual phase control using a normal 10K or so expression pedal like the boss EV-5. This is not a SPEED control, but manual phasing (like a wah pedal but phasing). When you unplug the expression pedal it does normal phasing just like the stock pedal. That is a $50 mod.

I wonder how involved the mod is. It might be cool to try it with your son. But $40 for someone else to do it isn't bad either.

Back