EVH fans... $1400 for a Frankie?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
Something doesn't smell right:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/5826938376.html

Yeah there were the 10K+ limited edition ones that only a rich EVH obsessed collector would buy... and the EVH brand ones for about a grand... but this one looks like a homemade one by someone trying to score a deal from a gullible Van Halen fan. Hey he'll even throw in a mint EVH flanger...

How is it over priced? If it's sporting the real components and used other quality parts is set up and plays great I'd say it's a hell of a guitar because a hell of a lot work went into it.

How is it over priced? If it's sporting the real components and used other quality parts is set up and plays great I'd say it's a hell of a guitar because a hell of a lot work went into it.

That's what doesn't smell quite right. If it is built with real components and quality parts then it should fetch more than $1400 I'd think. idn_smilie

If it does compare with the 5 figure limited edition ones (that even used a quarter from the same year as Ed's guitar...) then he should be asking more. If it's a cheap knockoff then 1400 is wayyyy too much.

That's what doesn't smell quite right. If it is built with real components and quality parts then it should fetch more than $1400 I'd think. idn_smilie

If it does compare with the 5 figure limited edition ones (that even used a quarter from the same year as Ed's guitar...) then he should be asking more. If it's a cheap knockoff then 1400 is wayyyy too much.

I'm thinking of how I buy off CL. I go in person so I wouldn't think crap until I look at it.

Where are the body and neck from?

If it's good stuff (Musikraft, Locke Custom, KnE, etc.) then the guy probably spent about $1000 in parts and supplies and painted it himself or had somebody else do it.

The paint job looks decent in those pics but I'd like a closer look myself.

@Scott_Abene would be a good person to ask since he's built dozens of Frankenstrats himself. I've only built my B&W one and that definitely cost me way less than a grand all together, doing the work myself.

"but this one looks like a homemade one by someone trying to score a deal from a gullible Van Halen fan."

Not sure why it doesn't smell right. Are you assuming that homebuilds are always cheap? That is a bad assumption.

Let's do some math:

Average Build Parts list:
Ash Frankie Body : $150-$300
Maple Neck: $100-400
Floyd Rose: $75-250
Frankie Pickup: $110-140
Dummy Pickup: $Free-40
5 way switch: $5-20
Knobs and Plates: $20-40
Reflectors: $5-20
Tuners: $20-100
Rattle Can Paint: $18-30
Misc: $30

Work / Part Aging / Man Hours: 20 - 40 depending on skill level. - $20/hr or whatever your time is worth to you.

I am sure that if your were a scrounger that you could find great parts on the cheap. But hey... Not everybody is me!

For instance the Red, white and black one is all "B" stock like Ed's. My total parts cost on that was under $275.

It not only looks good but it sounds damn good too.

All the Frankie's that I will post below I would put up for $1200-$1600 if I was going to sell them. I built and painted them all with the exception of the checkerboard which I finagled from @GilmourD

They are all fantastic guitars that have been repeatedly gigged and recorded at this point.

These private builds are worth what you will pay for them I guess. Chances are though... Most of the frankie builds out there are built by fanatics that went out of their way to make their guitars not only look right but sound right too.

Zuul_Blue_Frank_FRONT_Back_2000_00.jpg

Skot_EVH_Zuul_00.jpg

ZUUL_CHECKER_FRANK_BANANA_Body_06.jpg

"but this one looks like a homemade one by someone trying to score a deal from a gullible Van Halen fan."

Not sure why it doesn't smell right. Are you assuming that homebuilds are always cheap? That is a bad assumption.

Let's do some math:

Average Build Parts list:
Ash Frankie Body : $150-$300
Maple Neck: $100-400
Floyd Rose: $75-250
Frankie Pickup: $110-140
Dummy Pickup: $Free-40
5 way switch: $5-20
Knobs and Plates: $20-40
Reflectors: $5-20
Tuners: $20-100
Rattle Can Paint: $18-30
Misc: $30

Work / Part Aging / Man Hours: 20 - 40 depending on skill level. - $20/hr or whatever your time is worth to you.

I am sure that if your were a scrounger that you could find great parts on the cheap. But hey... Not everybody is me!

For instance the Red, white and black one is all "B" stock like Ed's. My total parts cost on that was under $275.

It not only looks good but it sounds damn good too.

All the Frankie's that I will post below I would put up for $1200-$1600 if I was going to sell them. I built and painted them all with the exception of the checkerboard which I finagled from @GilmourD

They are all fantastic guitars that have been repeatedly gigged and recorded at this point.

These private builds are worth what you will pay for them I guess. Chances are though... Most of the frankie builds out there are built by fanatics that went out of their way to make their guitars not only look right but sound right too.

Zuul_Blue_Frank_FRONT_Back_2000_00.jpg

Skot_EVH_Zuul_00.jpg

ZUUL_CHECKER_FRANK_BANANA_Body_06.jpg

That blue one is... Frankenstratastic!!!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back