Everyone freaks out on me

My problem with these diets is that at the end of the day, you(in general) haven't learned how to eat a healthy, balanced diet. All that you learned to do is crash diet.
The human body is designed to run on a balance of protein, carbs and fats....we need to learn to balance them, not eliminate one aspect. Once you try to go back to eating a more normal diet, you fail because you haven't learned how to balance the eating.
Once again, I'm using the word "you" in general and not specifically in reference to anybody.

Eric Berg has a video that explains this but I can't seem to find it right now.

Well unless you're a doctor, then neither one of us are and we have to rely on the information from people in the health profession. Given that they sometime say different things we need to weigh opinions against consensus, findings published in medical journals, etc. Meaning there has to be some way for laymen to decipher opinions and make safe choices. You or I (again unless you are also a doctor or scientist) have no real way to determine on our own whether Eric Berg is correct or not. Common sense or something sounding appealing wouldn't validate anything. It would be nice to see a large consensus of doctors support what he is saying. It's not hard to believe that countries with high sugar consumption correlates with higher heart disease (not saying that's a cause, but pretty safe observation they occur in the same places). But human civilizations were built on animal domestication and farming (i.e. wheat and rice). Eliminating a complete food group that has been eaten by humans for several millennia before us doesn't seem wise. Esp. given the much better relative health of Asian cultures (until recently) with a regular staple of carbs balanced with lower amounts of fat and protein than Americans are accustomed to. There are also some amazing health reports from studies on vegans recently (also not something I'm going to adopt anytime soon).

What would be interesting is if you and your friend stick with this diet for 20 years, we could follow your health, weight, and medical checkups for that same period of time. Scientific method, you need controlled tests to prove new ideas.

Well, I'm finding exactly the opposite in this case.
And that was the point of doing the bacon fast for 30 days - to kick start me into the high fat low carb lifestyle.
The bacon thing was a fasting diet. What I'm doing now is a lifestyle.

I'm not really dieting anymore. I'm eating differently than I used to.
I'm finding it very easy to do and that was the biggest attraction for me...right after the bacon. :)

The only thing I have to count is carbs. Otherwise, I eat until I'm full. That happens with less food and lasts longer.
If I need to eat at a restaurant, I don't sweat the details and just try to order something without the big no-nos. Sugar, bread, starches. At the very least, I can order a burger with no bun and a salad.

Basically, I need to remember "Meat, Cheese, Eggs, Nuts, Leafy Greens". There's more that fit into the lifestyle, but as long as I remember those five, I can stay on track.

Tonight, I had a whole rack of ribs with BBQ sauce on the side, and a salad with bleu cheese dressing.
I can totally live that way.

Oh, when I was at a work function last week, they had jicama "tacos shells" filled with chicken and avocado.
It was like they knew I was going to be there.

Jicama is a root and is low carb. They sliced them thin enough to fold.
Best two-bite tacos I've ever had. I ate six.

So here's why I could never do that diet:

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentra...performance-athletes-study-shows?cid=trending

Crucially, says Prof Burke, the study showed that a LCHF diet can cause increased oxygen demand during exercise, reducing the efficiency by which athletes transfer metabolic power to mechanical power.

Both carbohydrate and fat fuel or power the muscles by producing small molecules known as Adenosine triphosphate (ATP).

What the researchers found is that the rate at which fat was able to convert into ATP was less efficient - it required more oxygen.

Basically, carbohydrate is more efficient at producing power for the muscle, says Prof Burke.

"When you are trying to be as fast as possible over a sustained period of time it just makes sense to burn carbohydrate because you are going to get more bang of the oxygen that your muscle can deliver," said Prof Burke.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentra...performance-athletes-study-shows?cid=trending

Crucially, says Prof Burke, the study showed that a LCHF diet can cause increased oxygen demand during exercise, reducing the efficiency by which athletes transfer metabolic power to mechanical power.

Both carbohydrate and fat fuel or power the muscles by producing small molecules known as Adenosine triphosphate (ATP).

What the researchers found is that the rate at which fat was able to convert into ATP was less efficient - it required more oxygen.

Basically, carbohydrate is more efficient at producing power for the muscle, says Prof Burke.

"When you are trying to be as fast as possible over a sustained period of time it just makes sense to burn carbohydrate because you are going to get more bang of the oxygen that your muscle can deliver," said Prof Burke.

I've read some articles that argue you can but for the most part I agree that it wouldn't likely be as efficient though it might work for some. I wouldn't mind a higher protein/lower carb diet to try and gain some weight (which is a difference to what DCF is doing) but I would be concerned about how it would affect the way I ride on long rides.

I've read some articles that argue you can but for the most part I agree that it wouldn't likely be as efficient though it might work for some. I wouldn't mind a higher protein/lower carb diet to try and gain some weight (which is a difference to what DCF is doing) but I would be concerned about how it would affect the way I ride on long rides.

Yes, I think the main reason carbs don't work for most people dieting is that even if they do exercise, they don't really break a sweat too often. Or do aerobic activity for 2 hours or over.

That's not an issue for me.
I don't really exercise.

But you're absolutely correct that if you're going to exercise, workout, bodybuild, you need a different diet.
Although some bodybuilders swear by the keto diet and just focus on getting more protein.

Regarding my ankle pain.
It's not gout.
I can relieve the pain in my ankle by massaging the muscles in my calf and thigh.
It's immediate relief. Not lasting, but it's like flipping a switch.

I can also touch, massage and even tap my ankle. With gout, a gust of wind can be painful.

That said, I still hurt and going out tonight is going to be a challenge.
I was ok most of last night, but woke up in excruciating pain.

I'm going to focus on getting the inflammation down and loosening up those muscles.

That's not an issue for me.
I don't really exercise.

But you're absolutely correct that if you're going to exercise, workout, bodybuild, you need a different diet.
Although some bodybuilders swear by the keto diet and just focus on getting more protein.

Bodybuilding is a bit different in that you want very low, like less than 5% body fat so you would want to be in Ketosis to burn fat efficiently. But if you are doing endurance stuff it is supposed to be much more difficult to get the needed energy over the long haul without carbs.

Another reason I couldn't do what you are doing DCF is beer is no bueno for low carb diets...I like my beer :beer:

Bodybuilding is a bit different in that you want very low, like less than 5% body fat so you would want to be in Ketosis to burn fat efficiently. But if you are doing endurance stuff it is supposed to be much more difficult to get the needed energy over the long haul without carbs.

Tour de France cyclists are all under 5% body fat. Jens Voight says he would usually start the Tour at 4.5% body fat and end at 3.8%. You run the risk of dying below 3%. They do all that on a carbo rich diet.

Another reason I couldn't do what you are doing DCF is beer is no bueno for low carb diets...I like my beer :beer:
There are ways....
IMG_5181.jpg

You might find something similar in your area.

If I eat no other carbs, I can have 10 beers!!

Tour de France cyclists are all under 5% body fat. Jens Voight says he would usually start the Tour at 4.5% body fat and end at 3.8%. You run the risk of dying below 3%. They do all that on a carbo rich diet.
But they're burning those carbs every day with their training and racing. That makes sense.

That beer is a lager and I've always been an ale man. I'm sure there are some but not the ones I currently drink. There are probably good health reasons to eat fewer carbs but I don't need to diet so I can keep drinking my beer :grin:

I love bacon and other processed meats just as much as the next guy, but I'd be hesitant to make it the center of a diet - fats, etc are fine; but if you could get those fats without the nitrates you'd be better off, cancer-risk wise.
bacon.PNG

Nitrate free bacon. You're welcome. :grin:

There are more nitrates in spinach than in bacon.
More nitrates in celery, as a matter of fact, that's why they use it.

The difference is that you don't usually fry spinach until it's crispy. So, they never get converted to nitrosamines.
Don't cook your bacon too much but you can still get it just crispy, and the nitrosamines concern is eliminated.

That said, there is still nitrate free bacon on the market. I find it's easiest to get it from a farmers' market.

That beer is a lager and I've always been an ale man. I'm sure there are some but not the ones I currently drink. There are probably good health reasons to eat fewer carbs but I don't need to diet so I can keep drinking my beer :grin:
Michelob Ultra is just a few carbs per can/bottle.

Back