Every so often I start gassing for a les Paul ...

I love the look of a Les Paul, I hate the upper fret access, what with my small fingers and all.

Most of the ones I pick up in stores do nothing for me though. I DID play a used and battered early '80s LP just a few years ago at Elderly's that played amazing. It had a small chunk missing from the headstock, one of the volume knobs was 1/3 gone, chip and chunks gone from the cherry-burst plain-top, back was all chewed up, but the thing was maybe the best LP I've ever played. I wasn't gonna spend the $1800 they were asking for it though.

Here we go again. We need to Skype or something. Upper-fret access issues are technique issues.
I really do have tiny fingers though, double-cuts are just easier to play.

Take your hand, turn it over where you are looking at your palm, measure your middle-finger from the fold of where the finger meets the palm. Mine is 2 3/4". Maybe that's why I can't get any dates? :tongue: :(

I've owned a few over the years, as well as some H-150's and other variants, but I just don't find them comfortable to play.

Yes, I know, user error... blah0

The SC245 is the closest I get to LP territory.

Then I remember I had a great one but all of my music man's and my Paul Reed Smith blew it away in playability and tone.

True story

I own some LP model Gibsons and I own a higher end Agile LP. Reality is that all the Gibsons sound great but I never take them out of the house to play or gig with. Same with the Agile. They just feel odd to me when they are on the strap and I am standing up with them.

Then, about 2 months ago I picked up an Edwards Jimmy Page. I am playing the hell out of it and it is getting rehearsal time out of the house with bands and I will be taking it out on gigs I believe. So maybe it is just having the right LP to play?

Edwards_Jimmy_Page_09.jpg

You need to go back out and buy a Les Paul and spend your time working on your technique instead of playing a guitar you are comfortable with and having fun.

Amen.

That said, working on your technique can absolutely be fun, incredibly rewarding, and does wonders for your musicianship.

It seems that whenever I'm convinced a guitar is "not right" for me, I end up trying it, loving it, and buying it. This happened with the telecaster, the Godin 5th Avenue, and most recently the Gibson semi hollow on clearance.

So I ain't sayin' nothing bad about Les Pauls.

Years back I went through the same thing. I played dozens of Gibson Les Paul guitars and studied what I liked. I simply wasn't willing to pay Gibson money though so I started looking at other Les Paul style guitars. I was out of town for training once and stopped in a small guitar shop in Richmond, Virginia and they had hanging a Tradition Les Paul. They also had the same model amp set up with several pedals and I played through it. It felt great and sounded good. The tone pots did dial down to muddy and I wasn't thrilled about that but considering everything else with a $350 price I bought it. I changed the caps to .22 and the muddy disappeared. Now when ever I get that itch I pull it out and play away. That's how I scratched my itch.
Guit (7).jpg

Back