Every so often I start gassing for a les Paul ...

I loved my Les Paul until I bought an SG. If I get another one it will be a non-Gibson custom build.

You must have had the worst Les Paul ever made.

True story.

Don't get me wrong. It played and sounded just fine. It was my number one for many years. But after I started having hand problems the neck was just too thick for me. Additionally, I could get similar tones from the other guitars that I listed

Aesthetically it's my favorite body style, it's just too bad that Gibson makes them.

I owned one for about 2 weeks. I don't think I have ever owned a guitar I like less than it. They sound great when others play them but they are not for me.

If I didn't own the two Les Paul's that I do own I would not even consider buying one based on what I've tried in stores.

This makes no sense whatsoever - which is probably why I found it to be the most-accurate statement about LP's I've read.

I have a "shitty 50's RI Studio" that is amazing compared to all the Customs and Standards I've played. Strangely, I am not only tolerant of the variance between individual guitars for other mfrs. (and especially Asian-made Fenders), but with Gibson's price point, it just seems like they're saying "when you spend this much with another company, you're at least buying American QC - not with us! HAHHAHAHA!"

Now that I think about it, I own two Gibsons, and both are cheeeeeeaaaap. And each time, both were purchased when I had enough cash to buy pricier versions - and didn't, because those guitars were terrible.

I have had about ten Studios from many different years (though none newer than 2010) and a Deluxe from '82.

I have never run into one that wasn't excellent. Ones in stores? Perhaps I would agree. I have played a bunch in stores too but they were all prior to 2010 as well...maybe only 2 or 3 since then. Still, not a bad one. I am sure they are out there and I will be disappointed when I hit one, but for now I must be the luckiest man on the planet to have played and owned as many as I have and not hit a bad one.

Couple of Explorers and SGs as well...even an old Marauder that was dead cool. Lottery ticket today.

I love my Les Paul. I rarely play it, but I still love it.

And guys, the Gibson hate is trendy and all, and yes, Gibson now acts like a dooshee corporation... but let's not forget that they made some of the greatest electric guitars in the history of electric guitar.

To the OP - different strokes for different folks. EBMM and PRS tend to be very different animals from the Les Paul design - no real point in comparing/contrasting in my mind. i'm glad you've found the sound(s) and feel(s) and inspiration(s) that work for you, guitar-wise. that's what matters, in my humble opinion.

Then I remember I had a great one but all of my music man's and my Paul Reed Smith blew it away in playability and tone.

True story
PRS makes some great guitars and I have never played a Music Man guitar since every Ernie Ball product I have tried seems to be shit.
But aesthetically those guitars don't appeal to me in the least.
I did try out some Les Paul's a couple years ago and ended up buying an Edwards. It sounded better and played better than any Gibson Les Paul I tried.
In the end I sold the Edwards because it wasn't really a Les Paul.

True story

Then I remember I had a great one but all of my music man's and my Paul Reed Smith blew it away in playability and tone.

True story

PRS I can get - I'd love to get one, but they only offer nickel hardware for their guitars (remember, I have a major nickel allergy - my body is still settling down dermatitis-wise from all of those nickel stringed guitars I played a week and a half ago). I e-mailed PRS (I was seriously considering buying the Mira S2 Semi-Hollow), to find out if they have in their catalogue, replacement chrome plated hardware, and was told that they didn't have any. I guess like Gibson, they seem to feel you need nickel plated hardware for the tonez. I have yet to find any indication online (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), that there is aftermarket chrome plated PRS compatible hardware (mainly the bridge and the stop tail piece) available from suppliers like TonePros. etc.

Music Man - they've always given me a case of the blahs (mainly boring, undersized [ala the Jackson Dinky] super-strats, and the oh so ugly Albert Lee model), but hey, to each his or her own.

As for Les Pauls - some are pretty cool IMO. I don't really get into the Standards, or the Studios, but the Customs, the Specials, and the Juniors are definitely up my alley.

In 08 when I went out looking for a new Les Paul I played a bunch of them. It didn't take very long to figure out that even though it was a bland looking guitar with a fairly crappy nitro finish the lowly Studio, not withstanding pickup preferences, was capable of doing anything that the rest of them could do. For me everything above that was about cosmetics which is fine but I just think Gibson charges way to much for them.

Last edited:
I love my LP's. Took me a long time to find one because they never worked for me. Never been a fan of PRS, they just don't have that feel. As for Music Man's, I love the feel of the Luke.

And guys, the Gibson hate is trendy and all, and yes, Gibson now acts like a dooshee corporation... but let's not forget that they made some of the greatest electric guitars in the history of electric guitar.
The they that did that and the they that are now Gibson now share a name and some intellectual property rights, which is not quite nothing.

Last edited:
Back