Every now and then, I rediscover the magic of BRATS!

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
There are lots of kinds of meat I like to grill, and for whatever reason most of them usually come to mind well before brats when I'm deciding what sounds good. Yesterday was one of the times that seemed like a good day for brats, because I wanted to grill something uncomplicated, and I already ate a burger the day before.

I used to regularly screw them up with too much heat (maybe one reason I got negative thoughts about them in my head) but I finally learned to be gentle in all phases of the cooking process, so they don't crack or burst. First they get 10-20 minutes in a hot (but not quite simmering) beer bath. There should also be sliced onions in there but yesterday I forgot that, hah hah. Then they can go on a medium-hot grill, indirect heat, for 20-30 minutes, checking regularly to make sure they aren't cooking too fast or getting too burny.

So tasty! I use Johnsonville "regular" brats, I'm sure there are other good ones, maybe some smaller makes even better, but these are good. Lots of flavor, and a nice med-fine grind to the meat without any nasty bits of bone or gristle. I put mine on a hot dog bun with mustard and onions, sometimes cheese (not this time though).

Will be having one of the leftovers tonight for my hot dog sandwich. :embarrassed:

Brats are great. I do use Johnsonville sometimes,but there is a local butcher that has really good ones. He doesn't price rape you on them like the rest of his stuff.

The beer bath is a must I'm.

I find your lack of BRAT's...
Disturbing.
subaru-brat-ad-1.jpg

brats aint shit without good sauerkraut ...the kraut is the real magic

Especially Bavarian style with caraway seeds and juniper berries

I usually do my brats on the grill, indirect, or simmered in water. Don't poke em or let them split. We've got a couple great butcher shops that roll their own.

Johnsonville brats were what I always requested for my birthday when I was a kid. Eventually soured on them.

As a sausage I’m not a fan. But I think brats are great served up in a bun. I’d never take a hot dog over a brat.

If you ever feel like spending some serious coin on brats, give these a try:

nueskes-bacon-cheddar-brats.jpg

They're about $11 per pound, but damn, they're good!

Back