Ever since I got this new computer

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
The internet loads slow, I cannot view videos or listen to sound clips because they don't load at all or so slowly that I can't wait (30 minutes or more). This is a real pain. Could it be the Norton programs? Any ideas?

Will do. I have Norton 360 installed, and would think it would catch these things, but I'm doing a scan now. Thanks.

You're on Hughesnet, right?

Our connection has been horrible the last week or so.

Almost as bad as it is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You're on Hughesnet, right?

Our connection has been horrible the last week or so.

Almost as bad as it is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
At the office I have a TMobile 4G modem for internet. I am doing a scan now, so far 4 risks found and corrected and it seems to be faster already.

So, the problem is I went over my data allowance. I dropped my old phone in water a couple of weeks ago and went to get a new one. The folks at TMobile suggested changes in my service and downgraded the data limit. Now I am trying to get that straight. o_O

Maybe I need to get Mark on the job. :rolleyes:

So, the problem is I went over my data allowance. I dropped my old phone in water a couple of weeks ago and went to get a new one. The folks at TMobile suggested changes in my service and downgraded the data limit. Now I am trying to get that straight. o_O

Maybe I need to get Mark on the job. :rolleyes:
I'm not doing any better on my problems today.

:annoyed:

That doesn't sound right. Your home computer use has nothing to do with your phone data use. If it is a laptop, I'd take it back to the seller, and have their geeks give it the once-over.

That doesn't sound right. Your home computer use has nothing to do with your phone data use. If it is a laptop, I'd take it back to the seller, and have their geeks give it the once-over.
No, it does. My modem is a 4g modem from TMobile. I had just been talked into downgrading the data allowance to 5 g a month; I had gone over that allowance so they slow the service. As soon as I upgraded, it started running fast again. I brought my Chromebook in from the car and found I had the same problem on it, which is when I decided to call TMobile.

I haven't worked much with Windows 8, but generally when you connect a new Windows-based computer to the internet, the first thing it does is download a metric shit-ton of updates.

Like I say, when another computer had the same response, I figured it had to be a problem with the internet, not the computer. Now that I have ponied up more money, it is working fine. :rolleyes:

Like I say, when another computer had the same response, I figured it had to be a problem with the internet, not the computer. Now that I have ponied up more money, it is working fine. :rolleyes:

Just saying that when you hooked the new machine up, you blew through most of your data quota.

NORTON 360 BLOWS... UNINSTALL IT.

even if you put something free like Microsoft Security Essentials, you'll be better off than with that piece of shit bloatware.

If it only checked internet traffic and programs launched from the browser it would be okay... but it sticks it's fucking fingers in every file you access "What's that jpeg that's been on your machine for a month? might be a virus....... um... nope it's okay... wait... that text file...... yeah... um... okay...." :gah:

If you are running Windows 8 you don't need any virus protection, it is built right into it. I assume they are trying to compete with Apple in that aspect.
Whenever you are trying to open something it is running it through multiple scans making for slow loading time.
What I did was delete almost every crap trial program that came with Windows 8.....Norton, Conduit..etc etc.
I agree with baimun on Microsoft Security Essentials. When I had a system with Windows 7 it was a fantastic program and it updates its virus database with every Windows update. I tried to install it on my new computer with Windows 8 but it immediately notified me that it was unnecessary.

Last edited:
One of our techs used to work for Norton on their tech support division.... even he agrees that 360 is the plague.

One of our techs used to work for Norton on their tech support division.... even he agrees that 360 is the plague.
I've taken both Norton or McAfee off of every Windows computer I've bought for myself or my inlaws for the last several years. I can't believe that people find the immense weight of of those pieces of shit acceptable on their operating system.

Agreed, sometimes I think the virus protection software (e.g. McAfee and Norton) are at least as bad as the viruses they're supposed to prevent.

Agreed, sometimes I think the virus protection software (e.g. McAfee and Norton) are at least as bad as the viruses they're supposed to prevent.

This. Norton in particular are fucking evil and a bitch to get properly rid of. Always the first thing to get uninstalled on every computer I've ever had.

Back