Ever had whole roasted pig?

Theodore

I gotta move
I think he's long since jumped the shark, but I've been rewatching old Bourdain episodes and the skin always looks AMAZING - at least as it's done in the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Indonesia, etc.

Once when I was a kid.
My sister and her husband (a chef) took me to a back yard party where they did up a whole pig in fire pit.
They even buried it after putting the pig in the pit.

The skin was delicious. Every part that I tried was delicious.

Not by myself, but my dad was on a kick for a while where he found a guy who'd bring over a 55 gallon drum grill with a pig on it for any and all festivities--staff parties for his shop, weddings, graduation parties, etc. We probably took out a half-dozen pigs over a few summers. It was always good, but I don't have any memory of the skin.

Never had it. Just not one of the normal coming-of-age experiences for a nice Jewish boy...

But I'd sure like to try.

yeah...bunch of times. There's guys around here that do mobile pig roasts that will show up with a trailer roaster & pig that's been roasting all day for your event & serve the pork to your guests. Friend also pit roasted one in the ground for a 4th of July party. Tasty business.

Yep. My first time in Hawaii was when I had graduated college (graduation present from my parents). I was booked with one of those semi-guided tours of multiple islands that gave us plenty of free time, but also had events that we could attend. A luau was one of those events, and it included a pig that was roasted in the ground. Great food, and great show.

lechon-baboy.jpg

md_lechon.jpg

ulcings1_zpsb78efa11.jpg

stains.jpg

I went to a pig roast in Hawaii once. Whole pig. It was delicious, and I am not a giant fan of ham.

Yes. Once in Hawaii at a touristy Luau, and once here in California. Somewhat famous hawaiian slack key player George Kahumoku jr. would bring lava rock from the islands here every trip, and after a couple years he had a nice lined pit at a friends house. Another friend shot a boar up on Mt Hamilton and they pit roasted it. Amazing.

Does a pig roast count? If so, yes.

First pig roast I ever went to was down in South Carolina when I was in the Air Force. They dug a pit in sandy soil, built a fire with good wood, let it die down to coals, placed the pig in some kind of mesh contraption so it wouldn't be right on the coals itself, then buried the whole thing back in the ground. I'm sure they had some kind of venting so air could get in and keep the coals hot. Left the pig in for almost a full day I guess, then unburied it the next night for the party.

Sure, the crackly skin had sand all over it, but they pulled that off, leaving nice tender pork underneath. It was delicious eat0

I've had other pig roast pork since. Where I work now has done a couple of pig roasts using whole pigs using a big cast iron smoker thing. Generally they've started cooking it the night before, too.

Back