End of (ski) year festivities.

One more day of skiing left, but it looks to be cloudy. Yesterday (I got out there at 3p for just a little at the end of the day) and today were the days. Super fun!

Yesterday afternoon:
E93F4911-C1A2-4355-B224-226CCC4B2162_zpszqjjthkd.jpg~original

0CB1B49F-736D-405F-BD51-2E37327A46CC_zpsswrrpcpl.jpg~original

Today:

8EEBA614-623F-4851-AE19-A026AF83F31F_zpsnnxfrjrd.jpg~original

The party up top at the 3:30 club
12FCDD88-4FAC-40C4-B33C-BE72D0C184AC_zpscuoajnsm.jpg~original

I was taking laps in the area in the background toward that other chairlift that wasn't running today, and traversing back in to the lifts. Great stuff.
1C0FBC3E-6D13-4455-BAD0-0A2607DECE63_zpsa3kqpswl.jpg~original

And hanging with some friends down at the base.
3DC6EE9E-7D7B-4F7C-A108-7D3BC12523B9_zpsgy8vmndz.jpg~original

Nice. There's still plenty of snow.
Why are they shutting down? (Just curious.) Is it just because the only people left are season ticket holders?

Ski parties are always a good time.

Nice. There's still plenty of snow.
Why are they shutting down? (Just curious.) Is it just because the only people left are season ticket holders?

Ski parties are always a good time.

Yeah, lots of snow, and it is supposed to snow this week. Those bowls out behind the party up top, normally have brown showing on the slopes facing south, (away from the camera), and other than a stick or rock sticking up here and there, almost NO brown this year. Skiing south slopes this time of year just doesn't happen. I really wish they would have fun that lift in the background of that shot this weekend. But the hike and traverse was fun in its own way. Also, those cornices are way bigger than normal. the other side of the lift has some more vertical ones that are fun to jump.

As for closing, it is a staffing and money thing. They are still selling some tix, but mostly season pass holders and employees are skiing, and it takes money to keep the place open.

As for closing, it is a staffing and money thing. They are still selling some tix, but mostly season pass holders and employees are skiing, and it takes money to keep the place open.

That's what I figured.

My wife's mountain (Gunstock in NH, I have a season pass, too) is a bit weird as it is owned by the county. They set a hard date to close of April 4th every year, no matter what the conditions are like, no matter if they're selling tickets or not.

Most every other place up here, though stays open as long as they can. Until it gets to the point like you say, where it's only season ticket holders going, so it is not cost efficient to operate. Completely understand. I think there are a few still open farther north of me, but I've already hung my skis up for the year. :)

That's what I figured.

My wife's mountain (Gunstock in NH, I have a season pass, too) is a bit weird as it is owned by the county. They set a hard date to close of April 4th every year, no matter what the conditions are like, no matter if they're selling tickets or not.

Most every other place up here, though stays open as long as they can. Until it gets to the point like you say, where it's only season ticket holders going, so it is not cost efficient to operate. Completely understand. I think there are a few still open farther north of me, but I've already hung my skis up for the year. :)
Jackson Hole has a hard close date. I think early April. I understand it has to do with their Forest Service permit.

I had a great day yesterday, and can be done. My daughter had soccer yesterday so could not go, and I will take her if she wants. But I can be done.

OTOH, if I had the equipment and time, the backcountry is going to be really good for a long time this year! But I am pretty much on to bikes and waterskiing.

Jackson Hole has a hard close date. I think early April. I understand it has to do with their Forest Service permit.

I had a great day yesterday, and can be done. My daughter had soccer yesterday so could not go, and I will take her if she wants. But I can be done.

OTOH, if I had the equipment and time, the backcountry is going to be really good for a long time this year! But I am pretty much on to bikes and waterskiing.

I haven't been following it, but it is a clear day here, and I can see Mt Washington out my window. I bet Tuckerman's Ravine is popping now! (The top of the mtn is covered in snow).

It's on my bucket list, but I broke my leg last year, and have to REALLY have my shit dialed in to try that. Maybe next year.
:(

Leg held up OK this year, but I really do need to get a new pair of boots before I try something like that. (I hope I don't have to get a custom pair. One ankle is forever going to be bigger than the other one, I'm afraid.)

Someday....

I was out planting flower bulbs, so like you, I'm done with skiing for the year. :)

Back