End of Letterman show

I have watched some, watched some clips online, and have some recorded. Lots of good musical guests, lots of big celebrity guests. Though I have not watched that much in recent years, I am sad to see the run end. He was my college late night go-to, and for years after until we had kids and did not stay up that late.

Foo Fighters are apparently the final musical guest. http://www.stereogum.com/1802991/foo-fighters-are-david-lettermans-last-musical-guest/news/

If you have highlights from these last weeks, or any archival items that should be watched, post links here or note them if you don't have a link so we can go find them.

Best to you, Dave! And thanks!

Reactions: Tig
I used to watch his show every night. It has been a good 15 to 20 years since I have been a regular watcher, but I still tune in from time to time (or just watch it online the next day) for the musical guests. I still think Carson was the king, but Dave was close and his musical guests were better.

I used to watch his show every night. It has been a good 15 to 20 years since I have been a regular watcher, but I still tune in from time to time (or just watch it online the next day) for the musical guests. I still think Carson was the king, but Dave was close and his musical guests were better.

Very similar here. though I won't necessarily rate Carson higher than Dave. Carson was the king of that age, Dave was the king of the next. I am kind of enjoying Fallon when we tune in on the DVR once in a while. Looking forward to seeing what Colbert does.

Oh my, what a terrible musical choice. I'm disappointed in him.

He's been great, though. His consistency for that long has been impressive.

That said, I'm surprised at the ratings of late night shows. If there's a musical guest that interests me, it'll be on YouTube within a day or two, if that. Still, nowhere near as bad as morning shows or daytime talk shows. Shudder.

PS, some of the touching moments for me, that are sometimes hard to watch, are when Dave had Warren Zevon on all the time as Warren was dying.

Many of my other favorites date back to the NBC days. The velcro suit schtick was one I can think of.

Very similar here. though I won't necessarily rate Carson higher than Dave. Carson was the king of that age, Dave was the king of the next. I am kind of enjoying Fallon when we tune in on the DVR once in a while. Looking forward to seeing what Colbert does.

I agree with that.

2x ^^^^^^

It was almost too sad to post that Zevon clip. My law school mates used to call me "Headless" for various reasons that occurred late at night on the weekends after studying. They were letterman fans and turned me on to Zevon. *sigh*

I used to watch all the time when he first started out in the late 50's. :embarrassed:

Haven't watched since the 80's though, since I started going to sleep earlier...

A couple of my favorite guests that come to mind are Brother Theodore, and Captain Beefheart when he was all bent out of shape because, "They're cutting the beaks off of penguins!" And Chris What's-his-name when he was "The Guy Under the Seats."

Reactions: Tig
I love Dave. As a lifetime chronic insomniac, even when I was 12 or 13, I was always up late at night. I'm proud to say I've been watching from the start. He's been a huge and constant part of my life for 33 years. I thought I was lucky when I got to go to a live taping in 94, that was fantastic (I even met Mujibar and Sirijul for those of you who remember them :) ). I was even luckier travelling with Jason several years ago when he made an appearance on the show and actually had a fairly long conversation with Dave in person. Most of the conversation was about Porsches, he had a big thing for them in the 80s and was pretty infamous with the Connecticut Highway Patrol. He was very engaging, super nice man, and extremely intelligent. .. much more so than he lets on. That will always be one of my greatest memories.

As for the show coming to an end, I'll be dead honest, I haven't accepted it yet. I don't want to. It makes me emotional just thinking about it, and as a result, I haven't watched for a few weeks now. I have those weeks on the DVR, maybe I can watch them at some point, maybe not. The clip I saw the other day of Norm McDonald breaking down on the show just crushed me.

I don't know if I can watch the final episode. If I do, I'm gonna be sobbing the whole time.

There's a lot of other great talent out there in Late Night TV, Fallon is way better than I imagined he'd be. Conan has always been great, even Kimmel is pretty good. Ahh, but losing Craig Ferguson and Dave in the same year is just awful. I love Colbert, and hope he can keep the show alive, but it's a tall order and the deck is stacked. Good luck to him.

Thank you Dave, I am forever grateful for having had the pleasure to watch for these 33 years.

And thank you for:

Larry Bud Melmen

The Guy Under the Stairs

Cop on the Edge (way old school, Bruno Kirby)

Stupid Pet Tricks

Stupid Human Tricks

And so many more, including an incredible list of musical guests.

And thank you to Paul Schafer and the World's Most Dangerous Band for kicking ass with fierce consistency.

i've watched dave on and off since 1982. i can't often stay up that late any more. but i'm going to watch tonight.

i was also disappointed when craig ferguson left his show, even tho i could only catch him on friday nights, cuz i don't have to get up on saturday. the show IS NOT funny to me now.

I liked Dave before he had a show. I haven't watched late night talk shows regularly in a decade or more. If I was watching late night talk shows since then, it was Dave. It makes me sad that it is ending.

Also for some reason "gruff, but loveable Gus" character pops into my head from time to time still. I think he drove the NBC book mobile (fork truck).

I preferred the NBC era theme music better than the CBS one. Would love to hear a band cover that once.

Dave throwing things off his roof and driving over thimgs with that roller was always fun. Also seeing him in a uncomfortable interview with an attractive woman was always humorous.

I'll be taping it to watch a few times..

I'm one too that hasn't watched on a regular basis for years but once upon a time I watched it as faithfully as I did SNL...

As George Harrison once sang,'All Things Must Pass'

I also haven't watched in ~15 years or so, but I catch the occasional clip.

I always liked Letterman because he wasn't a pussy with his questions unlike Leno. Dave will stick it to people, especially shitheads like Paris Hilton, who he would flat out insult for being worthless to humanity, right in his studio while interviewing them. Aside from people like her, he'd ask tough questions, whether or not it'd ruffle feathers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-484973/Paris-loses-cool-mocked-chat-king-Letterman.html

His little out of studio bits were gold.

I loved his interactions with people like Regis, Richard Simmons, etc.

He was a link to old showbiz. There's a reason why Carson liked him.

Last edited:
Dave was the best. His favourite band is the Foo Fighters, his favourite song is "Everlong, he always talked to drummers, frequently had Zevon and Tom Waits on as performers, was a better interviewer, and had a better band than anyone other than 80's SNL.

I wasn't a regular viewer, but I'll always watch him online.

Back