Emerald guitars, anyone?

bsman

b00b
I've got some extra cash coming in, and have been thinking about something musical. Part of me was interested in perhaps investing in a small PA system, but realistically, I'm not going to be doing much playing out, and I can always rent a PA if needed. Then, I thought about an acoustic amp -- but I've been using my Crate Taxi amp for years for that purpose and don't really know that an upgrade is needed.

Now, I'm starting to fixate on the idea of a carbon-fiber guitar. I like the idea of a small carbon guitar -- sort of a desert island guitar -- something that I can throw in a car and not worry about. Anyway, I'm really focusing on the Emerald guitars X7-0s. It's got a reasonable scale-length (24" as opposed to the CA Cargo 22"). It also has stainless steel frets and seems to me that it would be something that I could play and enjoy for many years. Anybody on here have experience with Emerald guitars???

Yeah, I have one of the models before Alistair moved the soundhole. It's incredibly lightweight (about 2.5-3 pounds) and LOUD. It's also incredibly percussive, and whenever I want to do funky stuff with a lot of mutes on the acoustic it's my go-to. The only thing you might need to keep in mind is that since carbon fiber is a slightly brighter material, you'll need to try out a couple of different strings to find the best balance.

Yeah, I have one of the models before Alistair moved the soundhole. It's incredibly lightweight (about 2.5-3 pounds) and LOUD. It's also incredibly percussive, and whenever I want to do funky stuff with a lot of mutes on the acoustic it's my go-to. The only thing you might need to keep in mind is that since carbon fiber is a slightly brighter material, you'll need to try out a couple of different strings to find the best balance.

Thanks for the answers! I got thinking: A PA is something I need once in a blue moon, and I use my acoustic amp maybe twice a year. I play acoustic almost every day, so if I'm going to put down a grand or so, may as well be for something that gets serious use. Kerouac -- is your the X7 or X5 model?

I had an X7, sold it to buy a CA Cargo.

The Cargo sounds more like a wood acoustic guitar, which is what I wanted, where the X7 has just a bit of 'plastic-y' sound to it, if you know what I mean.

I don't even notice the 22.5" scale, but then again I have short fingers.

Thanks for the answers! I got thinking: A PA is something I need once in a blue moon, and I use my acoustic amp maybe twice a year. I play acoustic almost every day, so if I'm going to put down a grand or so, may as well be for something that gets serious use. Kerouac -- is your the X7 or X5 model?

Mine is the X7.

I've gotta personally disagree with Jay though... I played a lot of the Composite Acoustic stuff and I really didn't think they sounded quite as good, although I did like the CA better than most of the Rainsong models I've tried.

One guy from CA (I think he was the owner) was also a real dick towards Alistair at the NAMM show a few years back, right after CA closed and before they sold to Peavey, who makes the CA guitars now.

Always thought the sounds bites of the composite guitars at large on the web were off kilter from what I'd want to hear from an acoustic. For an all weather guitar I bought a Martin OOCXAE. It's an HPL; a high pressure laminate like a countertop material. Good electronics and an HSC. Cost about $500.00 used from a local Sam Ash.

Back