Elucidate me on Wah pedals.

JC777

g00b
I've played on and off for decades and never owned a Wah pedal. Like the 7 string thread, I want to play around with one before I'm old and yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

Are there really that many flavors, and colorings based on the artist?
Are they all basically the same construction except for the Morley Opticals?
Any other pearls of wisdom?

Well, there's a tiny dude in each wah pedal that goes WAH WAH WICKY WAH every time you step on the pedal. Stop torturing that tiny dude, Kirk Hammett. Fucking sadist.

That's true and you can season it as you see fit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Crickets....
I was hanging in there for some sage advice. The advice I've gotten before the thread was, Can't go wrong with the original Crybaby and Go Big and get the Fulltone Clyde.

Basically - They're all close to the same circuit. You can change the fasel, you can change some resistors but like the compressor thread, it seems they're all pretty close.

Crickets....
I was hanging in there for some sage advice. The advice I've gotten before the thread was, Can't go wrong with the original Crybaby and Go Big and get the Fulltone Clyde.

The Original Crybaby at the very least needs to be true bypassed. So you could get on with a Crybaby Classic, and be good to go. The entire reason for Fulltone, Teese, Budda, HBE, etc was that neither Dunlop or Vox offered an improved wah well into the 90s. The first was the Vox "Real McCoy" which was nice, but still not as nice as the boutique offerings for around the same price. The market has changed significantly since then and the major manufacturers have upped their game. So you can still buy a POS Crybaby GCB95, but why would you want to?

Crybaby classics come with true bypass and a fasel inductor and a much lower price than many boutique wahs that are the same circuit. And they sell dirt cheap used. I often see them NIB on Craigslist for $75.

Crybaby classics come with true bypass and a fasel inductor and a much lower price than many boutique wahs that are the same circuit. And they sell dirt cheap used. I often see them NIB on Craigslist for $75.
Yup....I just got one. It sounds killer. I got mine new but still was reasonably priced. Imo
Edit: I just looked up the sale on my wah. It was a "repackaged" item from Alto music. Possibly a return from a customer(?) when I got it, it had all of the "box candy" that comes with it along with the full manufacturer's warranty. $63

Last edited:
So...if they are all basically the same, why so many Artist pedals? Greed and marketing? It seems like there are more Artist Wah pedals than any other single type of pedal.

Back