Elizabeth Swaney, a good example of why people hate Americans

Also, why does this reflect bad on us Americans? What about those dopey ass Hungarians thinking to themselves "Hey, let's sponsor this chick. Sounds like a good plan."

They didn’t sponsor her. She paid for the whole scheme.

I went curling at a work retreat back in December. It is a lot harder than it looks. One of those shoes is made of a teflon like material and has zero grip/traction on the ice. Anyway, that shit was hard as hell to do.

I saw that idiot woman's halfpipe ski run. The Olympics needs some sort of a black flag program where they don't idiots use loopholes to disgrace events, even weird skiing in a half pipe like events.

They didn’t sponsor her. She paid for the whole scheme.
I read that, too. Oddly, the other skiers they interviewed didn't have a problem with her being there. She traveled all over the world on her own dime entering World Cup events to rack up enough points to qualify for the Olympics. She found a legitimate way to get there because the World Cup and Olympic Committee left the back door wide open. She didn't scam anyone and she didn't try to hide what she was doing.

That said, she made the Olympics look ridiculous and I sincerely hope they'll put some sort of mandatory minimum qualifications in place to prevent this sort of thing in the future. It's a bit of a tricky proposition though, because they risk barring crowd favorites like the Jamaican bobsled team and shirtless Tonga guy.

3 words...Eddie the Eagle...
I read that, too. Oddly, the other skiers they interviewed didn't have a problem with her being there. She traveled all over the world on her own dime entering World Cup events to rack up enough points to qualify for the Olympics. She found a legitimate way to get there because the World Cup and Olympic Committee left the back door wide open. She didn't scam anyone and she didn't try to hide what she was doing.

That said, she made the Olympics look ridiculous and I sincerely hope they'll put some sort of mandatory minimum qualifications in place to prevent this sort of thing in the future. It's a bit of a tricky proposition though, because they risk barring crowd favorites like the Jamaican bobsled team and shirtless Tonga guy.

The IOC created a rule because of him. In what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, it requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and be placed in the top 30% or the top 50 competitors, whichever is fewer. She got around that by competing in a sanctioned, but poorly attended event in which she finished just well enough to qualify.

Back