Elizabeth Swaney, a good example of why people hate Americans

shoeless

Riffin'
I dunno if you guys have heard about this girl or not. She basically played the system. Used her grandparents' Hungarian roots to compete for Hungary in the Olympics. She qualified by competing at World Cup events that no one attended. She couldn't do any tricks and basically just skied down the half pipe so she could say she competed in the Olympics.

There's a clip in the story below. It's pretty sad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...kier-elizabeth-swaney-hungary-team/351061002/

Exhibit A in the people's case that there are too damn many "trick" skiing and snowboarding events in the Olympics. It's gotten stupid - I'm tired of Xgame stuff creeping into the ever-bloated Olympic slate. I was watching some of this stuff this weekend (freestyle, IIRC), and every goddamn skier looked exactly like every other one. If it weren't for the announcers ejaculating every couple of minutes over someone's knee angle, takeoff or landing on every one, it may as well have been a film loop. Take off, do some twists and flips and land without hitting your butt on the snow. What fun... :rolleyes:

EDIT: It almost made me miss curling...

Exhibit A in the people's case that there are too damn many "trick" skiing and snowboarding events in the Olympics. It's gotten stupid - I'm tired of Xgame stuff creeping into the ever-bloated Olympic slate.
752b6f45f7cce07f2aa7d9333a78f2c5.jpg

FYI - just checked, and she has a master's in Real Estate Development and Finance from Harvard. Surprised she didn't pick up a JD as well. What we have here is a perpetual student of the art of huckterism. Perhaps she should run for President?

Also, why does this reflect bad on us Americans? What about those dopey ass Hungarians thinking to themselves "Hey, let's sponsor this chick. Sounds like a good plan."

Also, why does this reflect bad on us Americans? What about those dopey ass Hungarians thinking to themselves "Hey, let's sponsor this chick. Sounds like a good plan."

I've wondered if there shouldn't be some sort of residency requirements. There are quite a few examples of athletes competing for a country they aren't *really* a citizen or resident of.

I've wondered if there shouldn't be some sort of residency requirements. There are quite a few examples of athletes competing for a country they aren't *really* a citizen or resident of.

Yeah, it happens quite a bit in hoops but at least they people they get to play for them are pretty good.

Back