Elio Motors…a new 3-wheeled car? O.o

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
https://www.eliomotors.com

Elio-motors-sss-1024x625.jpg

So, it's kind of a Can Am Spyder, with an enclosed cabin?

I've been watching this for 3 years now and I'm beginning to think it's bullshit. I really wanted one. Still do.

3 wheeled cars have been tried for years - going back to my childhood. Still, they aren't really capturing the public's attention.

I've followed the story of this on Jalopnik and other car sites. The car always seems to be right around the corner, it seems.

3 wheeled cars have been tried for years - going back to my childhood. Still, they aren't really capturing the public's attention.

I was going to post the same thing. Three-wheeled cars are like hovercars and cold fusion—always popular with bad investors and clueless technology writers, irrelevant to everyone else. It makes more sense to build simple cars with four-wheels. Which Ford, BMW, Daimler, Maruti, etc. do so well that it’s unlikely a three-wheeled car will ever gain market share other than as a collectible luxury.

Luxury?

It's 6800 bucks.

And you can finance it, use their credit card to buy gas and they double what you spend in gas and apply the extra to the car payment. With the fuel economy, the idea is that you'd be spending the same amount of money as you would on gas for a normal car, but half of that only is paying down the loan.

Seems like they have a very interesting business model.

But, yeah, I'd pay another grand or two for an extra wheel.

Since we don't have Pep Boys around here I don't know where I'd go to buy one or have it serviced.

At least they didn't go the other way and have one wheel in front. We won't have to flip them back upright if they take a corner to fast like the Reliant Robin.

My SIL is in on this. It looks like a fun time waster. The kid can fix a motor,so it is a plaything if he ever gets it.
They did send him a shirt a year and a half ago. :)

Back