Question: Egnater Tweaker 15 head?

GDSmithTX

Corporate cog
So, a new condition Egnater Tweaker 15w head for $245 ... what do y'all think of the deal and of the amp itself? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Current amp heads: I have a Panama Shaman Retro, an Orange Tiny Terror and an Orange Micro Terror.

I have one and it gets the job done. Nowhere near as good as my old Allen Hot Fudge but still a pretty good amp. Sounds like a good price too.

I have one and it gets the job done. Nowhere near as good as my old Allen Hot Fudge but still a pretty good amp. Sounds like a good price too.

Thanks. I understand it's quite flexible (and that's a big part of the attraction for me).

I have a few questions: Is there a mode/setting that is clearly superior/inferior to your reckoning? Have you changed out the tubes on yours? If so, did it change the sound appreciably? Did you need to re-bias it after the tube swap?

Thanks. I understand it's quite flexible (and that's a big part of the attraction for me).

I have a few questions: Is there a mode/setting that is clearly superior/inferior to your reckoning? Have you changed out the tubes on yours? If so, did it change the sound appreciably? Did you need to re-bias it after the tube swap?

No re-bias with a tube swap. I haven't swapped mine yet (there is a thread about that somewhere :grin:) It handles 6v6, 6l6, el34, just about anything. I did swap the preamp tubes and it sounds better to me. The previous owner put 6L6s in it and they ship new with 6V6. If my tubes ever arrive, it will have 6V6s in it. The preamp tubes weren't stock either.

Its hard for me to say if there is a superior or inferior setting. I play all kinds of music, and I like a wide variety of tones. That said, I could easily see my self using any of the setting combinations, they all sound good, none really jump out as "the one" or "oh my god change it fast." Don't go into thinking the USA setting will sound just like a Fender or the AC setting will give me the exact Vox tone I have been chasing. They are close, but I found it better to not really look at the labels on the amp and just switch them until it gave me what I wanted.

So my 6V6s finally arrived and they were not broken. I swapped out the 6L6s that were in there. So far, I like the 6V6s better. They are rounder sounding if that makes any sense. It gave the amp a more Fendery sound. I didn't mess with any of the amp settings after the swap. Hopefully I will get a chance to do that tomorrow.

My bad, my amp had 6CA7 tubes in it. I just assumed 6L6s from the size of them. It looks like those are similar to EL34s which would explain the more Fendery sound with 6V6s in it.

Well, I don't think you're that out of luck.

Personally love my Rebel 30, was non-plused by the Tweakers. Maybe I just didn't tweak them enough.

Someday I'd really like to hear from folks on here who have had some lengthy experience with the Rebel 30 (combo or head). When I bought it, I had a vastly different income structure (e.g., a lot more and varied, so a $600 impulse buy wasn't out of the question).

I felt like getting a new amp, and no one had a DRRI that day. Started futzing around with the small-wattage heads at a GC, and while realizing that I was only dipping a toe, sorta quickly moved on from the Vox Nightrains, Egnater Tweakers, and Orange everything. Left a Mesa Atlantic 15 and Rebel 30, and I decided, what the hey, let's give Egnater a try. Save a few bills, like the color, I can always return, etc. etc. etc.

That thing kicks serious ass in my opinion. I run it through a Vox 212 cab, and get a huge variety of quality sounds out of it, and still feel that I'm barely scratching the surface years later (mostly because I rarely turn up past noon). The feature set is incredibly well thought out (thanks for the DI out, Egnater)

Back