Eggs healthy?

A few months ago, the wife decided she wanted to raise chickens (just hens for laying). So, she bought half a dozen little white puff balls. 6 weeks later, they're the size of small pigeons. I had no idea how to even go about the whole thing, building a chicken coop, brooding boxes, etc. I'm in a mad rush now to finish the coop. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff (never lived on a farm or anything) so this'll be interesting.

A few months ago, the wife decided she wanted to raise chickens (just hens for laying). So, she bought half a dozen little white puff balls. 6 weeks later, they're the size of small pigeons. I had no idea how to even go about the whole thing, building a chicken coop, brooding boxes, etc. I'm in a mad rush now to finish the coop. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff (never lived on a farm or anything) so this'll be interesting.
They're pretty low maintenance. Water and food in the morning, check on 'em midday and refill the water if neccasary. Make all the boxes you want, the hens may lay in them, or they might decide a random corner of the coop is better. Gather up the eggs mid/late morning if possible, hopefully they won't shit all over 'em, most likely they will.

I
They're pretty low maintenance. Water and food in the morning, check on 'em midday and refill the water if neccasary. Make all the boxes you want, the hens may lay in them, or they might decide a random corner of the coop is better. Gather up the eggs mid/late morning if possible, hopefully they won't shit all over 'em, most likely they will.
I'll post a pic when it's all done. I built on to the back of my shop for this, and I'm getting a little storage room out of it too.

Living in the city as I do, it's illegal to have livestock. Here in Lowell, we have the 2nd largest Cambodian community in the country. Like any other ethnic group, there are good ones and bad. Back about 10 years ago, a couple families gutted the 3rd story of an apartment house..... these things are not small. Typically they have up to 10 units per floor. Anyway, what they did was to fill that whole floor with small farm animals. Chickens, ducks, pigeons, a couple geese plus rabbits.... all for eggs & meat. The health dept got called in after someone complained of the geese and roosters making noise. The health dept was informed by community leaders that similar farms like that one were widespread through the city. Hence new permitting and ordinances were made and older ones started to be enforced again.

Funny how people talked about other studies being flawed or results being 'skewed' but nobody mentioned the skewing of the dietary cholesterol/serum cholesterol info.

The old study that says dietary cholesterol has no affect on serum cholesterol is old, flawed and was probably even funded by the egg board.

Funny how people talked about other studies being flawed or results being 'skewed' but nobody mentioned the skewing of the dietary cholesterol/serum cholesterol info.

The old study that says dietary cholesterol has no affect on serum cholesterol is old, flawed and was probably even funded by the egg board.

I dunno, I would think the egg board would have to be straight. Otherwise the eggs would roll off.

Probably most people are simply tired of listening to it dude..

One of my good friends is a urologist..

When we come together the last thing we talk about is male genitalia and all involved............

One of my good friends is a urologist..

When we come together the last thing we talk about is male genitalia and all involved............

Well, what you talk about in those intimate moments really is up to you two isn't it? When you have your timing synched up like that you really know that you have found the right person. Congratulations to you both.

I LMAO when I'm here and notice how quick HelpI'mAMathTeacher 'Likes' anything negative against me...

I chuckle...

I LMAO when I'm here and notice how quick HelpI'mAMathTeacher 'Likes' anything negative against me...

I chuckle...
Or, the most recent thread shows at the top and gets clicked on first. I mean, you can continue your hilarious persecution complex if you want. It's always funny. But it's not the truth.

That wasn't negative. I was being sincere. Perhaps he just agrees with the sentiment and is happy for you as well.

Finally got the chicken coop/run finished. Damn good thing too, they grow fast. From little cottonballs to this in 7 weeks.
24B49228-1DED-4E2B-A837-9F225A79069D_zpsojwaip34.jpg

Cody's first encounter w/chickens. Judging by the hackles, he's a bit too curious.
Pepper, the corgi in the background, couldn't care less.

Finally got the chicken coop/run finished. Damn good thing too, they grow fast. From little cottonballs to this in 7 weeks.
24B49228-1DED-4E2B-A837-9F225A79069D_zpsojwaip34.jpg

Cody's first encounter w/chickens. Judging by the hackles, he's a bit too curious.
Pepper, the corgi in the background, couldn't care less.
Looks good.

You might want to consider drainage in the run, and the fact that chickens like to dig... and escape.

Half of our chickens wander the ranch, the others stay in the chicken yard. Fresh eggs are so much better than the factory farm ones. Last couple weeks I've been having 2-3 hard boiled a day because we had a pile of them leading up to Easter :lol:

All of these studies, articles and meta-analyses make one crucial error: They look at the data collected from a broad selection of individuals, and try to determine an average outcome. However, we are not average. Each individual's genotype/phenotype is going to have a rather drastic influence on how that particular individual metabolizes an egg and what, if any, damage the cholesterol and fats will will do to their circulatory system.

It's sort of analogous to the problems with the way cancer research was carried out until recently -- the studies were performed regardless of the individual genetic differences, differences that dramatically influence both the progression of disease as well as the efficacy of treatment options. Only recently has genetically-based immunotherapy begun to be used clinically, and it shows great promise in being able to characterize and treat cancers based on the genetics of both the tumor and the individual as opposed to the old "shotgun" approach of treating every tumor the same.

I believe that the same principals will be found to strongly influence the effect of diet on individuals, and many years from now dietary suggestions will be at least partially based on genetic factors. The old adage "one man's meat is another man's poison" is likely to prove truer than not...

Back