Educate me on Stratocasters

David_

Facepalmist
So, if the information I've found on the web is accurate, I have a few options when it comes to Stratocaster models:

Squier
Squier Bullet
Squier Affinity
Squier Standard
Squier Deluxe
Squier Classic Vibe
Squier Vintage

Artist Series
Blacktop Series
Modern Player Series
Fender Classic Series
Fender Standard Series

Deluxe Lonestar Strats
Deluxe Player Strats
Fender Classic Player Series
Fender Road Worn Series
Fender Pawn Shop

American Special
USA Pro Strats
USA Nitro Satin Series
American Standard Series
American Deluxe
Fender Select Series
American Vintage

Custom Shop Artist
Custom Deluxe
Time Machine
Masterbuilt

Did I miss any?

I would like to see a video that demos each and every one. The only way to make a truly informed decision. It would be EPIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot the Howie Deluxe
PurpleStrat.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-11_10-0-46.jpeg
    upload_2014-7-11_10-0-46.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 45
wow... That is a lot of models.

Just my two cents

I would pick the one that plays the best. I recently bought a classic vibe tele and I have to say that it is unbelievably fantastic. Go figure.

I tend to like the Mexi Strats off the shelf better than the Cotona USA models. The Mexi's just seem like they re set up better and lpay better.

The mid 90's Squier's from the SAMICK factory are excellent players and well made.

How many Les Paul Models are there now? I bet there are just as many if not more

Well, there are lots of Strat folks here. I used to be one, but I'm no longer very knowledgeable.

What are you looking for? Finish? Neck carve? Country of origin?

I say forget all of Fender's models and buy yourself exactly what parts you want from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars or one of the hundreds of other companies that produce top shelf bodies and necks and put together your dream Strat.

I say forget all of Fender's models and buy yourself exactly what parts you want from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars or one of the hundreds of other companies that produce top shelf bodies and necks and put together your dream Strat.

That, when you get tired of it, you will need to list on Craigslist for half what you paid for the parts (not counting your labor) and will sit on CL for month after month after month after month after month...

Set a budget and play every instrument you can find in it...buy the one that works best without worrying about which model it is or where it was built...

I had a GORGEOUS MIA strat for years...I bought a MiM strat to use as a beater...ended up playing the SHIT out of the MiM while the MIA never came out of the case...sold the MIA...

For me these days. Building my own whether from parts or hand crafting is the only way to go for the most part. I get what I want, how I want.

Unless the off the shelf guitar is just plain amazing and a deal I am not buying.

That, when you get tired of it, you will need to list on Craigslist for half what you paid for the parts (not counting your labor) and will sit on CL for month after month after month after month after month...

I do not kid myself by saying that I will get rid of it. So chances are I am going to keep it. I also know what I like so chances are 99% of the time the guitar that I build will be a player and a keeper. Not my first rodeo and all that.

I have sold many "skotster" guitars locally via word of mouth or the local music shop I frequent so if I do get the urge to sell off one I have options.

I had a GORGEOUS MIA strat for years...I bought a MiM strat to use as a beater...ended up playing the SHIT out of the MiM while the MIA never came out of the case...sold the MIA...

What he says! I had a lovely '95 MIA telecaster that I sold off -- bought an 09 MIM and there is nothing about it (after a pickup change) that I don't prefer over the MIA. You really need to get out there to a GC or some other place with lots of strats on the wall and start banging away. When you plug in "The One" it will let you know!

What he says! I had a lovely '95 MIA telecaster that I sold off -- bought an 09 MIM and there is nothing about it (after a pickup change) that I don't prefer over the MIA. You really need to get out there to a GC or some other place with lots of strats on the wall and start banging away. When you plug in "The One" it will let you know!

I kind of wonder if most players really know what they want?

A lot of folks are struck by the moment an then get it home and realize after a couple days that the piece is either a complete dog or does not do any of the things that they want it to do.

I worked for a Fender dealer for 8 years and ended up doing Warmoth or custom builds the entire time that I could have gotten any instrument from them for cost. The Fender instrument I actually felt strongly enough to buy is a Squier CV telecaster. It really comes down to playing lots of guitars and listening to the one that says "take me home".

I kind of wonder if most players really know what they want?

A lot of folks are struck by the moment an then get it home and realize after a couple days that the piece is either a complete dog or does not do any of the things that they want it to do.
The other problem is that I never really know what I think of an instrument until it's plugged into my rig and/or used on a gig.

BTW -- after being stratless for about a year, I finally found the one for me -- it's a strange beast I've never seen before or since: an FSR MIM HSS in a transparent crimson red (must have been a leftover from 2013 -- I got it for $350.) One of these days I'll probably swap out the pickups... Funny thing is -- when I went to GC I was set on buying a FSR tele (the MIM BSB model), but it hummed like a motherfucker!

Back