Eddie Vedder Vocals

I've always liked his voice and the band for that matter. I lost interest in them after the second record (I just didn't like the 3rd one when it came out) but in the early 2000s I rediscovered them and they have become one of my favorite bands.

I don't really care for any of the grunge era stuff. I've gotten around to appreciating some Nirvana, but other than that it just doesn't do anything for me. Odd, considering how I dress and carry myself, but I was me before grunge was grunge :embarrassed:

I've always liked his voice and the band for that matter. I lost interest in them after the second record (I just didn't like the 3rd one when it came out) but in the early 2000s I rediscovered them and they have become one of my favorite bands.

Very similar experience here. I ended up finding some songs from those middle years that I liked too, after I started listening to them again. Seeing them live made a big difference.

I don't really care for any of the grunge era stuff. I've gotten around to appreciating some Nirvana, but other than that it just doesn't do anything for me. Odd, considering how I dress and carry myself, but I was me before grunge was grunge :embarrassed:

I was in high school during the grunge era. The slobby style suited me perfectly. I really like most of the grunge bands with the huge exception of Nirvana. I bought all their albums and listened to them a lot... yet I still don't think they're as good as the hype wants them to be.

It's conditional.

I've enjoyed the many covers I've heard him do, Hide Your Love Away, the Into the Wild soundtrack, etc. However, I don't care for Pearl Jam. I don't hate them, but I don't enjoy them.

I've always felt that had a limited version of Cornell's voice with a bit of the Stevie Nicks goat vibrato that I don't care for. He seems to keep the goat stuff more in check when covering tunes, which might explain why I like those more...as well as the cover tunes being better than PJ's stuff from a musical perspective.

Very similar experience here. I ended up finding some songs from those middle years that I liked too, after I started listening to them again. Seeing them live made a big difference.

I haven't gotten to see them live yet. They are on my must see list. They skipped DC last time and went to Charlottesvlle but it was on a night my wife was teaching. I ended up going back and listening to the stuff I missed and I think there is stuff I like from their entire catalog. I think it is cool how they kinda left the spotlight but still kept chugging along.

I was in high school during the grunge era. The slobby style suited me perfectly. I really like most of the grunge bands with the huge exception of Nirvana. I bought all their albums and listened to them a lot... yet I still don't think they're as good as the hype wants them to be.

I was in HS too, and I never understood all the hype. I mean, I get that it was new and different from the 80s rock machine, but it never really appealed to me. Different strokes :shrug: :grin:

I was in my early 20s when the whole grunge thing happened. It was funny because for my whole life, in the winter I wore flannel shirts because they are warm. I remember in the mid 90s leaving a shopping mall and some girl yelled at me, nice shirt don't you know grunge is over. I just shook my head and laughed.

I was late coming to the PJ party (the whole Grunge thing, really), but I liked what I heard, and enjoyed watching Pearl Jam 20 on Netflix. It's not my main genre, but I still listen from time to time.

I'm always interested in music, so I too dug the 20 doc. Still not a band I listen to. Another create cover was their version of Victoria Williams' Crazy Mary.

I also think McCready's a pretty good player. He reminds me a bit of Gilmour in that what he plays would sound cliched in another context (say a blues rock band), but it works wonderfully within the context of the tunes. I find this to especially true on the Temple of the Dog album. If we have to pigeon hole the Seattle sound to the grunge label, Temple of the Dog was the Pinnacle for me. Amusingly (for me anyway), my least favorite tune on the album...to the point of skipping it...is Hunger Strike. I'm a huge Cornell and Soundgarden fan. The musicianship of Pearl Jam is something I greatly appreciate, just (again) not within the context of their music.

Back