Eddie Vedder Vocals

Do you love them or hate them?

Here is one example of why I love them. A lot of feeling and expression. Some range, and dynamics. I like how he goes from a pretty mellow, low place, then shifts gears up substantially.

hated_it.jpg

When PJ first came out w/ Ten, they were the only band to have that sound. I don't understand the hate, but then again, I grew up w/ that sound in my head. Many copied that tone later in to 90's.

It's a shame so many people see that style as the "Eddie Vedder sound", especially since he only really sounded like that on the first PJ record or two. And he was never as egregious with the "WHURRL BURRGL FLURR GURGGLE" stuff as the people who were trying to copy him without being actual baritones.

It's a shame so many people see that style as the "Eddie Vedder sound", especially since he only really sounded like that on the first PJ record or two. And he was never as egregious with the "WHURRL BURRGL FLURR GURGGLE" stuff as the people who were trying to copy him without being actual baritones.

I don't know. To this day, I can only understand about 3 words of Yellow Ledbetter.

I remember being captivated by his voice when "Evenflow" and "Alive" first started getting airplay but I was pretty much over it after "Jeremy"...

I don't know. To this day, I can only understand about 3 words of Yellow Ledbetter.
Pretty much the only post-Ten song I like, and I like it a lot. Love the guitar work.

FWIW, when Eddie was just a weird local kid wearing a P Coat whenever he left the house and regardless of season or weather, he sang NOTHING like his PJ or TOTD stuff. I couldn't believe it was the same guy. He must have found his voice sometime after he left San Diego.

I don't really care for Pearl Jam, but sometimes they surprise me, and he has a very unique voice. When he's singing you know it's him. And they killed it on my favourite Who song!

This thread also reminds me of a weird conversation when I was in high school. I worked at Goodwill for about 9 months during my Sophomore/Junior year of high school and our manager was a really odd bird. She knew I was into rock music and would always talk about it with me in the break room. Her favourite band was The Doors and she grew up in California and had seen them several times. Her favourite "newer" rock band was Pearl Jam, then she got really quiet and said, "Morrison and Vedder were the best lays I've ever had. They really know how to fuck a girl." She finishes her coffee and walks away. :messedup:

Rockstar cougar freaked me out a bit. This was 2000, so that means she was in her mid-50's at least.

This thread also reminds me of a weird conversation when I was in high school. I worked at Goodwill for about 9 months during my Sophomore/Junior year of high school and our manager was a really odd bird. She knew I was into rock music and would always talk about it with me in the break room. Her favourite band was The Doors and she grew up in California and had seen them several times. Her favourite "newer" rock band was Pearl Jam, then she got really quiet and said, "Morrison and Vedder were the best lays I've ever had. They really know how to fuck a girl." She finishes her coffee and walks away. :messedup:

Rockstar cougar freaked me out a bit. This was 2000, so that means she was in her mid-50's at least.
She was trolling for your dick

Pretty much the only post-Ten song I like, and I like it a lot. Love the guitar work.

FWIW, when Eddie was just a weird local kid wearing a P Coat whenever he left the house and regardless of season or weather, he sang NOTHING like his PJ or TOTD stuff. I couldn't believe it was the same guy. He must have found his voice sometime after he left San Diego.

Not that I know anything, but if one believes anything that is said in the interviews in the PJ 20 film, I think he found his voice while he hung out with Chris Cornell and the PJ guys, did the Temple of the Dog project, and the guys healed from Andy, and he worked on getting over his Dad. During that time, he was at first just this shy guy with potential that the band liked. And they liked that his demoes did not sound like Andy Wood copies. But during the process, he found a voice, in Vancouver, found a little anger over over-zealous security dudes that he used, and found a voice. If you believe any of the 20 stuff. But it seems a bit genuine as they talk directly about how shy he was at first, even in their first shows.

WRT the mumble thing, I don't mind. It is about the emotion and feeling to me anyway. I will admit that at the time, if I had to pick, I preferred Cobain's wail though. Now, years later, I listen to a lot more PJ.

I don't really care for Pearl Jam, but sometimes they surprise me, and he has a very unique voice. When he's singing you know it's him. And they killed it on my favourite Who song!

Vedder is very Townshend inspired. Have you seen his "The Who" tele?

Eddie Vedder-s Telecaster With Target Sticker, Taped Arrow &.jpg

It's the one he pretty much plays the most as far as I have seen. It inspired CVC conversion. I love that guitar.

42506ed5-e46b-4c26-8151-8a2df3b40ba0_zpsad94c912.jpg~original

Also, Rockstar Cougar story = HaHaHa!!

Also, I guess one reason I like his voice is his lower register I can do, and sound ok. When he takes it up a few notches in volume and pitch I struggle to keep up. (read, can't really at this point). I like to think that if I got a little vocal training I could though. I like a lot of stuff from their album before last (Backspacer), and a couple of the last one.

I'm fortunate as a casual Pearl Jam fan in that I have a really hard time understanding lyrics when I listen to most rock songs, pearl jam and otherwise.

I've always liked Pearl Jam and I think Vedder has one of the best voices in rock. Up until "Yield" I don't think they had a bad album. The next 2 or 3 were meh and then Backspacer was pretty good.

Back