Eddie Van Halen on Surviving Addiction, Why He's Still Making Music and What He Really Thinks of Dav

Mike's response and taking the high road (consistently) is equally proportional to the assholic behaviour (also consistently) of Eddie.

That may be true, but Eddie has stabbed them all in the back before and took all of the credit wherever he could before so, you know what they say about previous behaviour and all...

That, and it's hard to edit things in quotation marks like the stuff about Mike's playing and singing.
True. I'm not trying to defend Eddie. I think there's some personal issues between Mike and Ed that aren't played out in public and Ed projects these things into the musical realm. Like maybe in Ed's head "Mike didn't even call me when my mother died" = "The fucker can't sing or play bass". He doesn't want to say the personal stuff but he's so angry at the guy that he has no redeeming values. God knows I've done that to people I didn't like in the past and at some point I realized I was projecting and the things I thought weren't quite true.

When you are in a band and people keep rotating through the lineup....and all those people are "the problem", maybe it is time to look in the mirror.

I like EVH's contribution to guitar. I think he is a great player. I also think he is probably an asshole.
Well, like I was saying before, most guys that are geniuses do tend to be assholes. Einstein was a bit of an ass and it was actually discovered that the part of his brain that dealt with certain social interactions was actually completely missing. Wasn't the guy from A Beautiful Mind an asshole (and I don't mean Russel Crowe, he's a generic asshole)?

There was actually a whole special on things like this on the Science Channel.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/video-topics/brain-intelligence/ingenious-minds-invisible-genius/

I watched the video interview. Seeing the words coming out of Eddie's mouth made me really sad.
There's a video? Did I miss that somehow? LOL Work's been really fucked up the past couple days, so I might have just missed that.

It's also quite likely that I'm so used to Ed being this way (and actually he used to be WAY WORSE) for such a long time that it stopped fazing me back in the '90s. idn_smilie

Sammy's book is a great read. He's an extremely successful music artist and business man with the kind of fuck you money to keep his band salaried when they're not playing, and to say whatever he wants.

Most people don't have that kind of freedom from consequences. VH is the reason why I play guitar, but that family is a smoldering soup of alcoholism and mental dysfunction. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Ted Nugent and EVH walk in to a bar..."

Actually, I knew he had a Tele at some point. I think it even made it onto some albums. Same with a Les Paul he owned.
The Tele may have actually been a Tele-shaped Ripley guitar.

edwithripley.jpg

I heard on the radio today hes trying to stop hagar from playing any of the songs he wrote while in van hagar (right now etc)
claiming they are his songs and hagar cant use them without permission

I'm with Sammy on his comments about Mike. Except Sammys' putting him in the top 5 bassists, that might be a bit much. Maybe as far as work ethic and staying professional in spite of it all.

I heard on the radio today hes trying to stop hagar from playing any of the songs he wrote while in van hagar (right now etc)
claiming they are his songs and hagar cant use them without permission

He just hates to see a guitarist playing the songs consistantly well.

Back