Eastwood Backlund 200

speakerjones

my hat is all
https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/backlund-200/
image.jpeg

They did a run of the 100's already, I believe. I know some of you HCEG guys were into his designs. This is one of his that I kinda dig. Only one more day to get in on it, I guess. The one Eastwood I've played was a decent guitar. It was considerably cheaper than this one though. I'm curious about how these come out. Not $1200 curious though.

I owned this retronix for a bit. It played OK but it wasn't inspiring and it felt very stiff. I sold it for the same amount of money I bought it for so I guess it's a win-win.

EBBB520C-50FD-4E3F-B829-9798F11E0F87.jpg

I never understood the phenomenon - I guess they aren't my style. But I was curious as to how stop/start the venture seemed. It's like everyone knows about Backlund guitars, but there are like less than 500 in existence. And the person whose name is on the headstock couldn't 'dream of' affording a guitar that bore his name. Huh.

Do they still exist? How do you get an Eastwood copy of something if it's still being built?

@Danhedonia - I dunno. I seem to remember he had some guys in Switzerland or somewhere building one-offs for big money, then he did the Retronix deal, and was maybe trying to get another company to do a run, but their minimum order was too big? I guess the model that Eastwood is doing, sort of crowd-sourcing limited runs of guitars, appealed to him.

Wow. I love it. I remember back when those designs were coming together back on HC. I love the execution, very similar to the prototypes if I remember. Not something I'm likely to ever want to own.

@Danhedonia - I dunno. I seem to remember he had some guys in Switzerland or somewhere building one-offs for big money, then he did the Retronix deal, and was maybe trying to get another company to do a run, but their minimum order was too big? I guess the model that Eastwood is doing, sort of crowd-sourcing limited runs of guitars, appealed to him.
That's pretty much whats going on.
Eastwood's model works for something like this. (Interesting designs that may not have mass market appeal)

If you look at eastwoods' site they have backlund models planned out till 2018.

Tennessee

Bruce Bennet was the luthier originally building the Backlund guitars before Eastwood. Though, I haven't payed any attention to what's gone on with Backlund since abandoning ship at HC
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/J_Backlund_Design

I always thought they were interesting designs but not something I'd want to own

It's pretty cool, but I'd like the knobs to match. Also, I can see that cruel hook on the headstock ending in tears.

Interesting. There are some elements I really like and some that i really hate. The top and the two guards are an interesting idea. The neck pick up is :messedup: and the headstock is yuck.

Like it a lot, but I could go toward a TOTL Reverend if I wanna drop over 1K on a MIK guitar.

It's all preference, but I had wanted a Reverend badly.
Once I got one, I didn't "get it".

It was (is) good, but you can find good, pretty easily now. Maybe I expected more or I hyped myself up for it.
Either way, I left disappointed.
YMMV.

Back