Early voting started today in Massachusetts

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
for the very first time. I was the first person in my town to vote. :grin:

While it is in the same building, it is in a totally different place with no signs telling people where to go to vote. I have a feeling some may give up and just wait for election day. I hope they correct that quickly.

I got my ballot a week ago. I have yet to open it. I'll get to it sometime this week and drop it in the mail. I have to bone up on some of the statewide issues.

images

To me, part of the appeal is going out to vote on election day, standing in line with your fellow citizens, and taking part in a collective process. Early voting and mail in ballots is a lot like going out on dec 17th and buying yourself a gift. Just my opinion. As long as you vote, it's all good.

To me, part of the appeal is going out to vote on election day, standing in line with your fellow citizens, and taking part in a collective process. Early voting and mail in ballots is a lot like going out on dec 17th and buying yourself a gift. Just my opinion. As long as you vote, it's all good.
I feel the same way but my tuesdays are so busy I was afraid I would be able to get in to vote. This is my first time that I haven't voted in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have traditionally liked that too. However, in working with our local dems, there has been a big push to use the absentee or early process, as the numbers show that things come up for people on actual voting day, and the participation is better if you get people to vote early. In the last election, we had Dick Fosbury, local engineer, who ran as a democrat for the state house, lose by 126. And yes, he is that Dick Fosbury. Nice guy, too. Our county and district is about the only place in Idaho where any Dems have a chance. Our local state senator is a Dem, and one of our reps.

Oh, and for me, the early voting place is right at the courthouse, so if I have court, it is super easy to do it there. I had a reason to be at the courthouse this morning, so dropped off my absentee ballot while I was there. Next time, I just do the early voting, as ballots that come in the mail can get lost in the junk mail or spilled on, at least by me. I had to go back and get a replacement for my first one that I spilled my hydro-flask all over.

I feel this too, but I still vote by mail sometimes. It's convenient to be able to do your research and not have to write out some sort of notes for the more local stuff on the ballot that actually matters way more than the presidential vote, etc (at least in non-swing states). (judges, etc)

Working two jobs, and often having appointments as early as 8:embarrassed:0 AM, I like being able to go when my schedule allows. It took the time pressure away. And, as you say, as long as you vote.

It is sort of like the book versus Kindle argument. As long as folks are reading, who cares how they do it.

It might be easy enough to vote in person elsewhere, but the ballot in California is so incredibly complex (seventeen statewide, and a couple of local ballot initiatives, district judges, local school board and city council elections, etc. that it's really almost impractical to vote in person here...

It might be easy enough to vote in person elsewhere, but the ballot in California is so incredibly complex (seventeen statewide, and a couple of local ballot initiatives, district judges, local school board and city council elections, etc. that it's really almost impractical to vote in person here...

It's all about the preparation, seeing as we are only a few miles apart I know what you are referring to. I agree that the ballot this year is quite daunting. That's why I fill out my sample ballot and take it to the poll with me so I don't spend an hour figuring out who and what I am voting for. This is also the first election that both my sons are able to vote in, so having them go to the polls on election day is an important part of passing this tradition on.

I live in a small enough town that I don't have the need to vote early & often :tongue:

New York doesn't have early voting. Ironically, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand tweeted this weekend that people across the nation should get in their early voting ballots as quickly as possible. I responded to the tweet, and included Chuck Schumer, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, State Senator Mike Gianaris, and City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer (my State Assemblyperson, Margaret Markey, doesn't have Twitter, which is reason enough to vote against her). Not a single one of them responded. And they want my vote? Fuck em.

last time I stood in line to vote was 1994 I think. AZ got mail ballots early on.

New York doesn't have early voting. Ironically, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand tweeted this weekend that people across the nation should get in their early voting ballots as quickly as possible. I responded to the tweet, and included Chuck Schumer, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, State Senator Mike Gianaris, and City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer (my State Assemblyperson, Margaret Markey, doesn't have Twitter, which is reason enough to vote against her). Not a single one of them responded. And they want my vote? Fuck em.

Sent the same tweet to the green party. I'm quite sure they have plenty of time to respond to you.

I’ll be filling out my mail-in ballot this week. I love voting this way because I can sit at my desk and look up all the candidates and proposed amendments instead of showing up at the polls and wonder WTF half these things are.

Back