Early Peavey Fury (angled super ferrite pup) bass?

Discussion in 'Guitars, Guitars Guitars!' started by Brian Krashpad, Jan 5, 2009.

Jan 5, 2009
  1. Brian Krashpad T1N2bM0

Anybody have any experience with these?

Early-to-mid '80's, USA. Being Peavey, I'd expect they're bullet-proof. Have tried Googling but I keep getting all the later USA P-bass copies (also called "Fury") instead, or the later MIK imports (which were even further afield, but still called "Fury"). So far as I can tell the angled super-ferrite pickup is the same as was on the earlier T-20 bass, so if anyone knows about those instead, lemme know.

There's one I can get in a local pawn for $150 USD or less.
  2. Jan 5, 2009
  3. Mark Wein :mad:

I'm embarrassed to say that I know absolutely nothing about this instrument.... :weebz:
  4. Jan 5, 2009
  5. Brian Krashpad T1N2bM0

Nah, they're not very well-known.  I can't even find a pic of one on the intranets to show you.  The pickup apparently, from what I found in an online article on the earlier T-20 bass, is the same in the as the T-20, which looks like this:

[​IMG]

Full T-20 article found here:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=2470

The one I'm looking at is black-on-black, which would make it a good (if slightly younger) mate for my T-60.
  6. Jan 5, 2009
  7. Mark Wein :mad:

Have you tried the bass in question yet?
  8. Jan 5, 2009
  9. Brian Krashpad T1N2bM0

No, just noticed it my last time there.

Unless it's something I really KNOW is a good deal AND I really want it, I never try out any guitar on first pass in a pawn. That's part of my system. Don't wanna appear over-anxious. And given the surfeit of guitars (albeit only 2 basses) I have, I can stand for things to get bought by others if my recalcitrance allows such to happen. If I miss a deal, I figure it just was not meant to be. All good things come to those who wait, and like that.

I could write a book on pawn shopping.

Well, a short story anyhow.

From what I've seen online, the sound is in the P-bass range (the angled pickup may be a split HB, not sure), but the neck is somehwat thinner, like a Jazz. Thus it'd fall somewhere between the P-bass and Jazz I have, without being overly redundant of either.
  10. Jan 5, 2009
  11. Prages User Error

I assume you've tried the Peavey Forum? Of course, being a Peavey forum, they might be a little biased.

I've usually found the older Peavey stuff to be pretty good, but I don't think I've ever laid hands on one of their older basses.
  12. Jan 5, 2009
  13. Brian Krashpad T1N2bM0

Haven't yet but probably will eventually. I did check over at peaveyT-60.com, which is a much smaller group of guys I know a lot better, as well as some other forums where I know the people involved. My very limited exposure over at the peavey forums is that a lot of the guys there are 24/7 Peavey fanatics, which, of course, is sorta the intended core audience.

Thanks for the reminder!
  14. Jan 5, 2009
  15. Denverdave Resident Ragamuffin

I have an old Peavey Patroit bass and I like it quite a bit. Very bright tone though...
  16. Jan 5, 2009
  17. I've got an 80s MIA Fury, but the P bass one.

[​IMG]