Early Peavey Fury (angled super ferrite pup) bass?

Anybody have any experience with these?

Early-to-mid '80's, USA. Being Peavey, I'd expect they're bullet-proof. Have tried Googling but I keep getting all the later USA P-bass copies (also called "Fury") instead, or the later MIK imports (which were even further afield, but still called "Fury"). So far as I can tell the angled super-ferrite pickup is the same as was on the earlier T-20 bass, so if anyone knows about those instead, lemme know.

There's one I can get in a local pawn for $150 USD or less.

markwein said:
I'm embarrassed to say that I know absolutely nothing about this instrument.... :embarrassed:

Nah, they're not very well-known.  I can't even find a pic of one on the intranets to show you.  The pickup apparently, from what I found in an online article on the earlier T-20 bass, is the same in the as the T-20, which looks like this:

t20-blue-02.jpg

Full T-20 article found here:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=2470

The one I'm looking at is black-on-black, which would make it a good (if slightly younger) mate for my T-60.

markwein said:
Have you tried the bass in question yet?

No, just noticed it my last time there.

Unless it's something I really KNOW is a good deal AND I really want it, I never try out any guitar on first pass in a pawn. That's part of my system. Don't wanna appear over-anxious. And given the surfeit of guitars (albeit only 2 basses) I have, I can stand for things to get bought by others if my recalcitrance allows such to happen. If I miss a deal, I figure it just was not meant to be. All good things come to those who wait, and like that.

I could write a book on pawn shopping.

Well, a short story anyhow.

From what I've seen online, the sound is in the P-bass range (the angled pickup may be a split HB, not sure), but the neck is somehwat thinner, like a Jazz. Thus it'd fall somewhere between the P-bass and Jazz I have, without being overly redundant of either.

I assume you've tried the Peavey Forum? Of course, being a Peavey forum, they might be a little biased.

I've usually found the older Peavey stuff to be pretty good, but I don't think I've ever laid hands on one of their older basses.

Prages said:
I assume you've tried the Peavey Forum? Of course, being a Peavey forum, they might be a little biased.

I've usually found the older Peavey stuff to be pretty good, but I don't think I've ever laid hands on one of their older basses.

Haven't yet but probably will eventually. I did check over at peaveyT-60.com, which is a much smaller group of guys I know a lot better, as well as some other forums where I know the people involved. My very limited exposure over at the peavey forums is that a lot of the guys there are 24/7 Peavey fanatics, which, of course, is sorta the intended core audience.

Thanks for the reminder!

Back