Early father's day present from the wife

I was thinking this would be about a pedal... :poke:

I like their stuff too.

Remind me to tell you my second-person Smithereens story this September :wink:

I've seen them a few times over the years and it's always a good show. I think Mike Mesaros jumped ship a few years back; I don't know who's playing bass for them these days.

I'd totally go see those guys.....

Blood and Roses. I can still hear/hum the bass riff in my head, and I haven't heard that song in probably 20 years.

It's a mystery to me why their tunes never became cover band staples. Their songs are well crafted, hook-laden, infectious, and often rock like hell. In a fair and just world they would have been huge.

It's a mystery to me why their tunes never became cover band staples. Their songs are well crafted, hook-laden, infectious, and often rock like hell. In a fair and just world they would have been huge.

I know. I have covered a few of their songs over the years, but I always liked them and I consider them a big influence. Their album Green Thoughts and REM's Document were the records that led me on the path away from 80's metal.

Reactions: Tig
I know. I have covered a few of their songs over the years, but I always liked them and I consider them a big influence. Their album Green Thoughts and REM's Document were the records that led me on the path away from 80's metal.

Green Thoughts is my favorite of theirs. I think it's tighter than Especially for You, and that's a killer album.

Even if the music isn't always reminiscent I've always felt the Smithereens just sort of picked up where the Kinks left off. Maybe in spirit, anyway.

You have never heard of the Smithereens? I know you are way younger than me, but still.

Yep. I don't think I've heard a single one of those songs. I just listened, and it's not really my thing, but it's not bad.

Their Beatles and Who cover albums were really good. The 2011 album is worth owning.

Back