Earl Slick Guitar Collection. Several he used with David Bowie.

Arf.

Not a Slick guitar in sight, but he does have GFS P90s on his Framus sig. Dare I say it was the best-sounding one in the video? :shrug:

I never quite understood Earl Slick.

First of all, take off the sunglasses, Earl. Or turn off a few lights in your living room if it's that bright.

Second, I've never heard him (that I know of) play anything where I was very impressed. He sounds like me noodling around. I mean, I guess the guy can play if he's done session work with all those artists, but.....anybody know of anything he's ever played on where he really "brought it"?

icon_conf

I never quite understood Earl Slick.

First of all, take off the sunglasses, Earl. Or turn off a few lights in your living room if it's that bright.

Second, I've never heard him (that I know of) play anything where I was very impressed. He sounds like me noodling around. I mean, I guess the guy can play if he's done session work with all those artists, but.....anybody know of anything he's ever played on where he really "brought it"?

icon_conf

Also see: Waddy Wachtel.

OK, Earl's got it going on in this one. I'll give him that.

However, to be honest, and I'm not lying now......I could see @Mark Wein tearing that shit up on Cougar Carnage gig night and panties dropping all over the dance-floor. If they're actually wearing panties, which I suspect most of them are not.

But Earl sounds pretty good in this clip. Sounds "fun" to play.

I'm checking this dude out now.

He's already better than Earl Slick in my book, but again, what do I know?

Maybe, but remember that Steve Perry song "Oh, Sherrie", and that guitar solo? Yup, they paid Waddy for that one...

Maybe, but remember that Steve Perry song "Oh, Sherrie", and that guitar solo? Yup, they paid Waddy for that one...

It all seems so predictable, doesn't it?
Not saying it's not sound foundation-wise and musically, but it sure smacks of "safe" to me.

And I wasn't slighting @Mark Wein by implying that, not at all. (No disrespect intended @Mark Wein , none at all.....)
It just sounds like something you could fucking rip out, put your own spin on it and tear it up, but for some reason this dude chose not to. Or maybe that WAS his spin......which brings me back to sounding a bit like me noodling vs somebody putting HEART and SOUL (with a bit of chops) into it.
That's all.

Hope that makes sense.

I mean.....it ain't this.

Not like I am suggesting Mark go the skinny-jeans, plumber-butt, shirtless route.....but......this is what I wanna see if you have your own guitar line-up thing going. Gimme some "sac" to it, you know? A little emotion. Heart and Soul kind of shit. Put some fucking energy (and thought) into it. IOW, put some ASS into it.

Last edited:
All very guitar-centric stuff here. We as guitar players tend to want every touch of a guitar to be some really impressive display of consciousness expanding technique and daring musical expression. But sometimes "simple and solid" is exactly what an artist wants/needs. If David Bowie tagged this guy to play on all those legendary albums I'd say his cred is pretty unassailable.

I just thought he had some cool guitars when i found the video and wanted to share his guitar collection and the fact that he used a couple on some David Bowie records. I didn't care how good he was, he just had some neat shit.

Back