Dying 9V battery pedals?

surfsteve

Pendejo
Anybody tried one? Y'all know I loves me some fuzz, and let's face it, when the preferably C/Zn battery starts dying that splatty, sputtering beauty is on display for all to see.

Is it worth buying one of these, or hoarding nearly dead batts?

Could you just buy/make a <9v power supply to recreate the effect of a dying battery? Like do a 7.5V supply or something? I know at least some of those circuits are good from like 5-12v. . .

Danelectro used to offer a variable power supply that was the size of a one spot. It appears to be discontinued, but I’m sure you can find one easily.

I had an old Ibanez DS-10 Distortion Charger that was just amazing on a dying battery. It turned really fluid and made leads just sing, so for one gig a month it was amazing. It didn't get splatty.

I vote hoard batteries. :)

Yet another reason why I am increasingly becoming an acoustic player (where tone is truly in the fingers, and not in the dying battery, boutique pedal, or other entree down the rabbit-hole...)

I have an old boss hm-2 that takes an oddball boss 12V adapter. It's fairly fuzzy in its normal state, but it gets super splatty almost sort of gated fuzzy awesome when you underpower it with a 'standard' 9V adapter

Beavis audio used to show you how to build one. It wasn't much more than hooking the right type of pot between your battery and the pedal. IIRC

edit: Found it

download.png

I have an old boss hm-2 that takes an oddball boss 12V adapter. It's fairly fuzzy in its normal state, but it gets super splatty almost sort of gated fuzzy awesome when you underpower it with a 'standard' 9V adapter
related to this, but totally off topic otherwise (apologies):

This thread inspired me to dig out that HM-2, and it still sounds awesome with the lower-than-required voltage. Supposedly there's a very simple "mod" (just a jumper wire) that one can do do make it work "normally" with a standard 9V power source If I wanted to wire in a switch so that I could use a normal 9V power source and switch between the intended sound and the low voltage sound, what sort of switch would I use? (I'm a noob when I comes to such things). a mini SPST toggle would work, right?

Back