Dumb question about Egnator Tweaker (red tubes)

BrammyH

Grandpa Whine
So, my 15w Tweaker has stopped outputting sound. Instead of all the tubes glowing blue, what looks like the power tubes (the big ones) both have a red glow at the end of the filaments.

Is this a sign they need to be replaced?

I'd probably have an amp tech take a look at it. If both power tubes look different and there is no sound there might be another issue in the amp that could kill another set of tubes if you just replace what you have in there.

Reactions: Tig
Changing the fuse didn't do shit. I have a call into an amp tech. I'm not sure what's going on. Both power tubes are glowing, but I get no sound.

I have a jam this weekend that I'll have to use the mates bass amp as my guitar amp. No fun since it's an Acoustic B200 and has two volume settings: way too loud, and way too soft.

You may have several issues going on Brammy. From the possibilities of a shorted tube to a problematic transformer, etc.

Take it to a tech.

Amp mojo...

Because they sound awesome and it is a sound that cannot be duplicated by other means. In over ten years of giging with tube amps I have yet to have one go down during a show and aside from replacing tubes occasionally I have had no issues.

Same here. And if you get a point to point amp, servicing them yourself is super easy. The only thing a tube amp has that a solid state doesn't are tubes. Capacitors go bad and they are in both. I have had at least 3 solid state amps die on me and never had a tube amp die. I had a Fender Ultimate Chorus, Fender Stage 160 and my GK bass head, all solid state, all bite the dust. The GK died at Barn Storm. I can't even begin to name all of the tube amps I have owned ( a few from the 60s and early 70s) and aside from a cap job or 2 (which again are in solid state amps) and some tube replacements, no issues.

Not too mention, I have never heard a solid state amp come close to sounding as good as a tube amp. They just can't replicate the dynamics of tubes, at least not yet.

Glowing just means the heaters are getting power, the tubes can still be (and probably are) the problem.

Have someone look at it if you're not a qualified diy'er.

I'm bringing it by the tech tomorrow.

I thought of just ordering new tubes, but at this point I want someone who knows more about amps than I do take a look.

The Egnater Tweakers are known for having "iffy" transformers. See here and here and here and here and any number of other places that come up when searching for "egnater tweaker transformer".

Mercury Magnetics (no affiliation whatsoever) has a replacement available here. They're not peanuts, but they can take care of the problem. Others may have a replacement, but this is the one company I saw most mentioned when I was researching the Tweaker heads before I ended up with the Panama Shaman Retro.

The one I have is the 15, but the 40 seems to be the one with the balky transformers.

We will see tonight, however.

Dropped it off. One tube is definitely dead but replacing it didn't solve the problem. He thinks something on the board shorted out when the tube blew.

So, it's not looking good.

The tech took it apart and didn't notice anything obvious. Well, other than a couple screw heads had exploded and the parts were all over the circuit board rofl. He took it to the authorized Egnater repair place a few towns over. If I was the original owner, I'd be in great shape; it has a 5-year warrantly. I'm not, though.

There's still a chance it's an easy fix, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.

So, it's not looking good.

The tech took it apart and didn't notice anything obvious. Well, other than a couple screw heads had exploded and the parts were all over the circuit board rofl. He took it to the authorized Egnater repair place a few towns over. If I was the original owner, I'd be in great shape; it has a 5-year warrantly. I'm not, though.

There's still a chance it's an easy fix, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.

While I have heard that some Egnaters have had QC issues, I am also aware that Egnater has a reputation for making it right. Whether or not you are the original owner, my guess is that if it appears that they find an issue that was not induced by the user, or from abuse, they may very well fix it. Good luck!

Back