Dudes who play Jazzmasters. PT1

I tried to play mine at a gig, but by the end of the first set, all of the saddle screws had backed out of the bridge and the string height and intonation were all fucked up.

I haven't picked it up since.

My friend Gary was a Harley rider. Every spring he'd start a cycle of riding it for a couple days, then he'd take it home, tear it down and work on something for a few days, then ride for a couple more days. Some of our friends would tease him about it- "hey Gary, your bike runnin' today?" but they didn't get it. Gary was a gearhead, he liked working on that thing as much as he liked riding it.

Jazzmasters are kinda like that.

My friend Gary was a Harley rider. Every spring he'd start a cycle of riding it for a couple days, then he'd take it home, tear it down and work on something for a few days, then ride for a couple more days. Some of our friends would tease him about it- "hey Gary, your bike runnin' today?" but they didn't get it. Gary was a gearhead, he liked working on that thing as much as he liked riding it.

Jazzmasters are kinda like that.

Funny, my McFeely has a Jazzmaster vibrato and bridge (it is a Mastery, which can be put on any JM) and it hasn't needed a setup since Mark brought it to me at Pragestock 3 years ago. Still plays like a dream even when I go a little vibrato nuts :grin:

Funny, my McFeely has a Jazzmaster vibrato and bridge (it is a Mastery, which can be put on any JM) and it hasn't needed a setup since Mark brought it to me at Pragestock 3 years ago. Still plays like a dream even when I go a little vibrato nuts :grin:

Once you get 'em dialed in and have locktite on the screws, even the stock bridge (like the one on my Squier VM) will play nicely. The tough part is getting it there.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. But when I hear Sonic Youth it's like nails on a chalkboard. Do we really consider that to be "good music"....really??
I think it's HORRIBLE.

Oh, totally not a dude, but Jessica Dobson rocks a Jazzmaster.
:love:

image.jpeg

Try these

This kind of stuff just isn't my bag. I'm a product of the late 80's guitar/ music era.
When Nirvana and grunge happened, I hated all of it. It represented everything that was the opposite of what I liked musically.
I can look back on much of it now and enjoy it for what it is , but honestly Sonic Youth just sound like a bunch of noise made by people that don't know how to play.
Maybe it's just me, idk but I don't like this stuff.

This kind of stuff just isn't my bag. I'm a product of the late 80's guitar/ music era.
When Nirvana and grunge happened, I hated all of it. It represented everything that was the opposite of what I liked musically.
I can look back on much of it now and enjoy it for what it is , but honestly Sonic Youth just sound like a bunch of noise made by people that don't know how to play.
Maybe it's just me, idk but I don't like this stuff.

That's why there is a ton of music out there. There is something for everyone. I'm a product of the mid 80s guitar rock. Maiden, Priest, Rhoads era Ozzy. I just have always tried to find something I like from every kind of music. In the 80s, I was in high school and at one point I was in 3 bands at the same time. I played guitar in a punk band, bass in a metal band and bass in a band that dd nothing but Michael Jackson and Prince covers. After playing MJ and Prince stuff, I just opened up to all kinds of stuff like the Smiths, the Cure, U2. There was a time I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to that stuff.

That's why there is a ton of music out there. There is something for everyone. I'm a product of the mid 80s guitar rock. Maiden, Priest, Rhoads era Ozzy. I just have always tried to find something I like from every kind of music. In the 80s, I was in high school and at one point I was in 3 bands at the same time. I played guitar in a punk band, bass in a metal band and bass in a band that dd nothing but Michael Jackson and Prince covers. After playing MJ and Prince stuff, I just opened up to all kinds of stuff like the Smiths, the Cure, U2. There was a time I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to that stuff.
I'll be the first to admit that I can have a tendency to be on the close-minded side when it comes to music. I have found that bass players tend to be open to a lot more than guitar players, in general.
The logical side of me know this and know that I may be missing out on something, but my initial reaction to most new music I hear is overly critical. Usually something has to grow on me before I like it.
My wife, who's not a musician listens to a much wider variety of music. So, on the plus side I get to hear lots of stuff that I would never seek out on my own. Such as 70's R&B and funk. I can totally see why bass players would like that, but the guitar playing is a bit more minimalistic. Maybe that's why it's not something I gravitate to.
The great thing about forums like this is the exposure to new music...I'm embarrassed to say that before the other day, I had never heard of Richard Thompson.

I'll be the first to admit that I can have a tendency to be on the close-minded side when it comes to music. I have found that bass players tend to be open to a lot more than guitar players, in general.
The logical side of me know this and know that I may be missing out on something, but my initial reaction to most new music I hear is overly critical. Usually something has to grow on me before I like it.
My wife, who's not a musician listens to a much wider variety of music. So, on the plus side I get to hear lots of stuff that I would never seek out on my own. Such as 70's R&B and funk. I can totally see why bass players would like that, but the guitar playing is a bit more minimalistic. Maybe that's why it's not something I gravitate to.
The great thing about forums like this is the exposure to new music...I'm embarrassed to say that before the other day, I had never heard of Richard Thompson.

You could've right about guitar vs bass players. I've never considered myself a guitar player. I'm a guy who plays guitar. I picked up guitar because I wanted to make music, not to become a great guitarist. Which is why I moved to bass and occasionally drums. Hell if the right band came along, I'd play the triangle if that's what they needed.

Back