Dry Poached Chicken.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Literally the easiest way to make chicken. I do this once a week and we use the chicken either whole or cut up into other things like salads. I just salt, pepper and lightly use a mesquite seasoning mix. The chicken comes out fairly "plain" and does not get browned or anything but for slathering in Franks Hot Sauce or using in other recipes its really useful and easy.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...e-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

Thanks, will try I usually boil ours in broth before making a curry or so since I have to stay away from any excess fats. I'll try this too sine it uses very little.

I've had that bookmarked for awhile but have yet to try it. Thanks for the reminder! I normally just do skinless-boneless baked and they come out plenty juicy.

I usually either go with 1 of 2 options:

1) whole chicken: dry, salt, pepper, thyme, 450 degrees for about 65 minute, serve with Dijon mustard

2) pieces: seasoned, grilled or torched for a minute, then thrown in the immersion circulator for however long I damn well feel like

I eat mostly chicken thighs....regular and skinless/boneless.

That looks like a good recipe though.....

I do whole chickens on the Big Green Egg, not so different from that oven method.

Lately I have been using Tony Cachere's for seasoning, comes out yummy.

Then if I really want to go crazy, I will shred that roasted birdmeat and make enchiladas with tomatillo sauce and goat cheese.

Probably, yeah. At least for European cuisine. By any standard, certainly the best taste-to-work/effort score by a huge huge huge margin.

I'm a bit jealous you have an immersion circulator though. There was one at a restaurant I worked at that rarely ever got used and I thought that was a seriously wasted opportunity.

I'm a bit jealous you have an immersion circulator though. There was one at a restaurant I worked at that rarely ever got used and I thought that was a seriously wasted opportunity.

The Anova models are relatively inexpensive at about $170. IMHO, I'd pay a lot more than that if the choice was either that or go without one. I use mine at least 3-4 days a week.

Back