Drum VSTs

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
Looking for any / all insights.

EZDrummer? BFD? What have you used, and what did / didn't you like?

I use Steven Slate...I have no complaints. There's a ton of sets to choose from in the platinum version. And they all sound good. You can stack multiple drums and mix to taste. For ex, you can take 2 snare drums. Maybe one has a great "pop" on the attack and the other one has more "body". You can stack them and mix until you get what you want from them. Etc. TBH, I'm still learning all the ins and outs.

I use Native Instrument's Kontakt as the sample host, then have a bunch of different actual libraries. The Steven Slate ones are really good for rock and metal.

Can I get Jim Keltner, Levon Helms, or Nigel Olsen in magical software for computer idiots?
I'd buy that. I'm still trying to grock how to manipulate the basic drum kits in Logic 10.

Really appreciated. I am thinking of starting with EZ drummer, but the Slate stuff also looks tempting.

One thing that is truly messing up my head is that in IOS/Auria, I can EASILY map each drum in my iPad app (PerfectDrummerPro) to separate channels.

But doing that with MT in Reaper? Like freaking advanced chemistry to me. WTF?

So let me ask - how "EZ" is the routing in EZDrummer? Slate?

In Slate it comes pre-routed. You can change it to you're liking but I never do. There's an onscreen keyboard that you can use to "play" the drums and then go in and create fills etc by hand. I use a midi keyboard with pads to actually play drums. I make a basic beat that fits my riff and then edit from there.

Thanks. What do you mean by "pre-routed?" I like having each piece of the kit on different channels. Is that how it is?

Routing is simple on EZdrummer in Reaper. When you open it, it asks if you want multitrack routing. You click yes, and it inserts all the necessary tracks. Then, in the mixer section of the plugin, simply click the bottom of a virtual drum "track," select multitrack, and everything gets routed where it belongs. Bear in mind, however, that the different kits are routed differently. So pick the kit you like, then do the routing.

Thank you. That's how it supposedly is in MT, but somehow I am not able to get it going correctly. I wouldn't put it past my own stupidity. OTOH, I was able to literally figure it out in under two seconds in Auria with DPP.

Does EZDrummer let you put your own samples into the kit?

Thanks. What do you mean by "pre-routed?" I like having each piece of the kit on different channels. Is that how it is?
Maybe I'm not using the right terminology....yes you can set it up so each piece of the set is on its own mixer channel. Then you can adjust Reverb, compression etc for each piece.
I thought you were referring originally to the drum mapping. Where you can assign what key or pad on the midi keyboard reproduces which piece of the drum kit. You can customize that but it comes pre-mapped. I'm still not sure if I'm correctly describing what you're looking to learn here....so sorry if I'm not helping.
My knowledge of what is capable of being done in Slate is on the beginner level still.

Thank you. That's how it supposedly is in MT, but somehow I am not able to get it going correctly. I wouldn't put it past my own stupidity. OTOH, I was able to literally figure it out in under two seconds in Auria with DPP.

Does EZDrummer let you put your own samples into the kit?
I don't believe so, but you can mix and match any of their samples on any kit, as well as those from any and all of their expansion kits. So you should be able to come up with something you like.

I don't believe so, but you can mix and match any of their samples on any kit, as well as those from any and all of their expansion kits. So you should be able to come up with something you like.

The expansion kits have samples of fascist propaganda and tropical bird calls?

Back