Drinks by the Dram

micwalt

Too Controversial To Have An Athleisure Line
http://www.drinksbythedram.com/

My wife ordered the bourbon tasting set, plus a dram of Dad's Hat Rye and... wait for it, Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye.
I had the Van Winkle last night. Wow! Absolutely the mellowest whiskey I've ever had--also a lovely sweet/spicy/woody combo. That said, I believe that Whistlepig is more complex/interesting. And I have absolutely no problem sticking with Michter's as my go-to, as it's quite tasty at half the cost of Whistlepig and a fraction of the cost of Van Winkle.
Tonight: Dad's Hat Rye.

My wife have gifted me the advent set for the past few years and they are a great opportunity to try stuff you may never get your hands on otherwise.
One thing to keep in mind is they are a sample of one bottling/expression, which in the world of many of these spirits may not be totally representative of what's on your local's shelves.

I ordered 4 boxes for presents, and one advent calendar for me. :)

After you go through it, I'm curious what you think about a couple in the set but I don't want to spoil the surprise of discovering each one as you go through the calendar.

Had the Dad's Hat rye last night. Was not impressed. Too spicy/alcoholy. Not enough sweet/wood/smoke. Followed it with a splash of Michter's to end on something positive.

Even Williams bourbon:
Very nice! Not particularly complex--couldn't discern any specific notes. But a lovely overall flavor. Very drinkable. I would've very much liked another.
Tonight shall be Blanton's bourbon.

I had a bottle from the '04 bottling that was rather good...especially for the $26 that it retailed for. Still goes for about that price too on the later bottlings.
I saw Evan Williams SB retailing for $40 this week!

I've been watching a few buddies on Facebook working their ways through whiskey advent calendars. I'm a bit envious. That would be a fun treat.

Back