Drinking when gigging?

I've mostly only played with bar bands, so drinking was always a given. I used to partake in other things during a gig, as well, but I can't play worth a shit if I do.
I used to think I sounded damn good in that state...till I got to hear myself back later, recorded. Sloppy hot mess.

I don't drink at all anymore or gig for that matter. When I was gigging in college (and living off the money I made gigging) I drank excessively before, during and after a show. I did play most gigs in college towns where all of the audience was also drinking. I don't believe it hindered my performance and I have a bass playing buddy who will say they same thing. He saw me some nights were I could barely stand but still never missed a note. When I left that band, I joined his as a guitar player. I remember our first gig, the whole band was sitting at a booth at the bar and he told the band no drinking before the show. When the rest of the band went to set up, I asked him about that and he said I could drink all I wanted.

In the early 2000's I was in a few bands and I wasn't drinking then, so I didn't drink at gigs. I think as long as it doesn't have a bad impact on the performance and I it is a gig where folks are drinking, it is fine. Don't start doing shots if you are playing an AA function.

Oh, about 20-some years ago, I used to DJ with a buddy at a local bar on the weekends. We got paid a little cash, plus pretty much whatever we wanted to drink (within reason...sorta...). The free drinks was more incentive than the cash :embarrassed:. I would usually slow down about 2 hours before closing, and I lived close by, so getting home wasn't an issue. I probably wouldn't survive those same weekends these days.

Back