Dreadnought GAS

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
For a really long time I've been largely disinterested in dreads, preferring parlor and 0 size instruments, or archtops. But last night I sat down to play and sing for about six hours and I played my little Emerald and I spent the whole time thinking that the particulars of what I was playing would have sounded better on a dread. I only have one dread left, which is currently set-up for Open G, but I may have to go shopping sometime this fall to see if I still feel that way.

I'm certainly not saying it would replace the Custom 0. Just that for some of the material I'm working on it might be a better sonic glue.

Dreads are tough to beat. Pound them and they're loud, lighten up and finger pick them and they can delivery wonderfully subtleties.

I haven't had one for nearly a decade and would like to get one, but I can't justify a single purchase in the realm of gear.

For me, the dreadnaught is the foundation for my acoustic playing. I have had (and still have a 12-string jumbo) jumbos, but every time I play a dreadnaught, I realize that it gives me exactly the sound I want.

Kerouac, I'm GASsing for a Taylor 356ce dreadnaught 12-string right now. I can't affrod it right now, but I sure like to play it when I go into the music store.

Best of luck with your own GAS!

It'll likely be one of these two:

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoustic-dreadnought-e10ss
E10SS_F.jpg

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoustic-dreadnought-e20ss
E20SS_F.jpg

To me, Dreads are only useful if you're playing standing up. Otherwise, they are dreadfully uncomfortable, IMO.

To me, Dreads are only useful if you're playing standing up. Otherwise, they are dreadfully uncomfortable, IMO.

I see what you did there. :embarrassed:

I play with a dread pretty comfortably regardless of sitting or standing. Of course, I almost always use a strap.

I see what you did there. :embarrassed:

I play with a dread pretty comfortably regardless of sitting or standing. Of course, I almost always use a strap.

After way too many close calls and disasters, I have begun using a strap with every guitar in every situation. Better safe than sorry!

After way too many close calls and disasters, I have begun using a strap with every guitar in every situation. Better safe than sorry!

Now that I have an acoustic of above average value (for me) I'm using these with my strap.
$_35.JPG

I got a bunch of Grolsch gaskets from forum member Lerxst, but I've also used plenty of those breadbag closures as straplocks -- my electrics mostly have straplocks, but for acoustics, I prefer something that doesn't require a change like that.

img_0523.jpg

While my current acoustic is a dread, easily my favorite sized acoustic is a mini-jumbo.

Moi aussi! I have a Tacoma EM9 that is currently in need of either a massive setup or neck reset that I have been meaning to bring into a repair place (I set up all my guitars, but this one is beyond me). It is wickedly comfortable, yet brings the boom!

Back