Done did changed it up here! (New Vox modeling content)

CBHScott

How did I get here?
Got me one o' these last week:

AV30Combo-large.jpg

Yup, one of the new Vox ANALOG modeling amps (with 2 COUNT'EM TWO 12AX7s in the serketry there somewheres). The AV30. 30 watts, 10" speaker, two channels of eight voicings each, with minimal effects (reverb, delay, and some chorusy "mod" thing). The speaker is mounted offset to the right, and at a bit of an angle (that you can't see) to maximize the larger cabinet and port on the lower left.

750-AV30Combo_detail2.jpg

The speaker is mounted offset to the right, and at a bit of an angle (that you can't see) to maximize the larger cabinet and port on the lower left.

As opposed to their recent new line of digital modeling amps (the VTX series - meh), this one sounds much more organic and without the artifacts that plague the VTX series (especially when you start kicking in the effects...bleh). The voices go from Twin to Bassman to AC15 to AC30TB to Plexi-something to Modern-Marshall-something to...Mesa? Then...Soldano? Whatever, the punch that these things put out is very tubey, and the overdrive does not get very fizzy. The Bassman, AC15 and '70s Marshalls are fantastic, and easily worth the price of admission, plus, no menus or presets that you go down the rabbit hole with. The only issue that doesn't affect me too much is that when you crank the Power knob and up the gain, it gets REALLY hissy/white-noisey. May be a deal breaker for those who would regularly come close to diming it, but realistically I don't think anyone would, as it gets LOUD way before then.

I've put about 6 hours on it already, after barely playing for the better part of a month or two. Love this thing.

Last edited:
Nice! I have an older Tube Works head and 2x2 cab that I love, and it's a solid state/tube hybrid as well. The Tube Works amp puts the 12ax7 tube (I recently changed it out for a 12au7) in the preamp stage. I'm curious whether Vox chose to put the tube in the preamp, as well, or did they go with putting it in the power stage?

I just got a chance to look up the stats on the AV30. Nice! It has a 12ax7 in both the preamp and the power stage. I'm guessing it sounds absolutely awesome.

Back