Hot or Not? Does the California roll dream of NY pizza?

Not something I usually gravitate toward but that is actually really nice.
Love the wood and color. The top is interesting. Looks arched but maybe it's just the edging that makes it look that way.
I'd like to check it out but I'm not sure I'd be a buyer.

Interesting neck joint. Wonder what that's all about. Not a fan of the cutout horn, or whatever it's called. Seems a bit too big to me. If you followed the lines of that horn, it'd hit the neck way up on the 12th fret or so. :shrug:

looks like impeccable craftsmanship and artistry combined with some new/unconventional engineering (as it relates to guitar design) composed of exceptional materials. Despite all of that I do not like the aesthetics of the shoulders of the guitar, they're too wide.

This one of those situations where I fall perfectly within the notion that guitarists do not appreciate innovation. That said, I LOVE this guitar:

Verdi_whole_guitar.jpg

Verdi_side.jpg

Ken Parker archtop...gorgeous. Despite my poor to non-existent jazz playing, I'd buy one of these were I rich just to support Ken's amazing artistry.

A lot of amazing craftsmanship and skill went into building something that I do not find attractive at all. To each their own I suppose.

I get the impression that these instruments aren’t made to play.

It seems his latest stuff is really pushing artistry and innovation. Matsuda has been one of the premier builders in the world for decades now. He was one of the first builders to incorporate the fanned fret/multiscale concept on acoustics. He used to focus one flattops, often with cutaways...I've always loved his stuff. This newer stuff seems like an artist and designer just following his muse and likely pleasing some well off musicians/guitar players along the way. These aren't just fancy overprices Strats, Pauls (Les or RS), etc., their unique instruments or unique sound design and sound engineering incorporated into expertly crafted instruments.

But yeah, you aren't going to see/hear many of these instruments anytime soon.

Back