Do your tastes change?

So, i'm sure some of you think I'm pretty fickle with my gear. One thing that's pretty constant in my guitars usually have 2 humbuckers and I run my gain pretty hot.

Recently, however, I got my Vintage Summer of Love Strat. I can't stop playing it. I love the tone of the single coils. Sure, sometimes I miss the added beefiness and sustain of having two humbuckers, but having the single coils is so refreshing. It's causing me to slow down and work on my technique and feel more. They don't cover up the mistakes!!!

Also, I'm using less and less gain. I love hearing the character of the guitar itself more.

I still find playing with 2 humbuckers and a good amount of gain more my style, but I'm really digging single coil tones more and more.

How about you?

swap the Strat for Tele and that exactly me. 2 humbuckers and lots of gain. Now i'm liking slightly beefy single coils or even P90's and rolling the gain back. I used to want high output humbuckers, now i'm liking the lower output vintage tones more.

My music tastes run the gamut, so I need some range of tones. That my tastes vary so widely may very well be a stumbling block in my learning curve.

I think the difference is, I used to be obsessive about learning the guitar and sound and tone. These days, I just play for personal enjoyment, I don't care about tone as long as I can play what I like :shrug:

My tastes have definitely widened rather than changed. I still like what I got into in the early years (at least 22 frets and a humbucker at the bridge) but there's room for a lot more on the stand for different tones and things.

I liked Mystix better when he was an unapologetic 80s hair metal shredder with purple superstrats.

Now he tries too much to be a grown-up tasteful player.

Embrace who you are, not what you think others want you to be

:js:

2 humbuckers, gibson style is definitely my preference. I've recently built up a fender style but it's just not me. Sounds and looks great though. I'm finding I now spend too much time faffing about a/b'ing them whereas before with just 2 gibsons I was happy with my tone and focused on the playing instead.

Yes.

Specifically, in terms of gear, I think I've gotten more particular/precise about what I want to do and what tools I like and respond well to for doing those jobs. Also, I've become better at recognizing stuff I like in other people's hands vs my own.

In some cases, I've come full circle from my first strat to trying to make the tele or the offset thing work for me to returning to a strat as my go to f-style guitar. Recently I've gotten more into the set neck g-type thing because I've realized that stuff that didn't look or seem cool was actually was better suited to my playing habits/preferences. And I've narrowed some down particulars like fret size and neck profile and all that spec stuff to where I know what I'm gonna like best.

Some stuff I've always liked, however. P90s, muff style fuzzes, etc.

Not really. I've upgraded from cheap stuff to mid level stuff. There has been some shift to make myself more marketable (I'd probably play more electric if i wasn't best suited to the Americana scene).

I love sound as much as instrumentation -- so I agree with the statement that my tastes "widen." This flies past guitar tones (I am afraid I've come to find a lot of guitar playing quite boring) to various sounds. If I can pick out an oscillating tone or pseudo-arpeggiation in white noise, I can dig it. An example of this would be a simple electric fan -- I start to hear music in the cyclical groaning of the cheap engine, and that can perhaps be the basis for a rhythm.

I guess what I mean to say is that I see sounds as a continuum, and as I get older I have really started to appreciate all sounds more and more.

Back