Do you remember where you were when you heard SRV died?

I was driving to a rehearsal and listening to WHJY in Providence. I can even remember the exact stretch of road I heard it on.

My oldest son had been born a week earlier, I was still in the new parent haze.

I was crushed to learn that SRV died. I had seen him live in the early 80s when I was a young teenager and just learning to play guitar. He changed the way I played. I wore out a texas flood record trying to steal his riffs.

His influence on legions of guitar players cannot be denied. He stood on the shoulders of giants and brought the music higher and further than it had been before.

I was working fairly newly for the government and a lady that worked in the buyers dept that I had loaned a cassette of my playing to asked me if I'd heard and I said yes............

I was on vacation that week and had gotten back from Florida. MTV started reporting news of a helicopter crash that had a "Famous Guitarist" aboard a. Later a report came that a member of Eric Clapton's circle was on the copter( i think it was his bodyguard) and my friends and I just knew EC had died,but later in the day it was announced that SRV had died. Several of my friends got some candles,a few bottles of wine and some guitars and went to a park and drank and cried. it still hurts and sux losing such a great talent

That's so sad. It's also not what SRV would have wanted.

Go to your local megamart, get the pool, antifreeze, and 83% lean chuck. Go to your father and stew in it like you were meant...do it for Stevie, do it for Stevie.
it was supposed to be clapton, dammitt.

Probably sitting around the house. I was living in Milwaukee at the time so it was a local story and got big TV play.

it was supposed to be clapton, dammitt.

clapton has said in several interviews that the seat SRV was in was SRV's seat. EC was never supposed to be in that helicopter.
EC said that the story that he GAVE that seat to SRV , which SHOULD HAVE been EC in that chopper was pure urban legend.

just sayin'wave0

clapton has said in several interviews that the seat SRV was in was SRV's seat. EC was never supposed to be in that helicopter.
EC said that the story that he GAVE that seat to SRV , which SHOULD HAVE been EC in that chopper was pure urban legend.

just sayin'wave0

Clapton disdain runs deep in some.

I had just sat down for a meeting with my friend and business partner Alejandro Sosa when the helicopter incident occurred. Wait, different helicopter incident.

Tonite is my piss people off night. I got bored with SRV after Couldn't stand the Weather. Same licks every time. And check out my Pink posting.

Back