Do you like Big Star, Cheap Trick and/or early R.E.M.? Then let me tell you about...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cheese Grits, Nov 7, 2010.

Nov 7, 2010
  1. The Orange Humble Band. :cool:

[​IMG]

I picked up this album yesterday out of the "Richard's Power Pop Recommendations" bin at my buddy's now-dead record store (God rest its corporate soul). I was told that I would "like it" if I "liked Big Star," and then Donnie (the clerk) dumped it into a stack of CDs I was holding. I actually ended up with lots of CDs this way, but I digress.

I DO like Big Star, and I DO like this album for lots of the same reasons. There are lots of good harmonies, vocal hooks and poppy, lush, jangly rhythm guitars. Because the record is more modern than Big Star by a couple decades, the production sounds nicer, but the overall style and quality is very similar. According to a number of sources, they recruited some Big Star members to help with their second record. So, there you go. Also, my wife likes it, so it passes that test.

Here is the Allmusic page with some streaming clips: http://allmusic.com/album/assorted-creams-r373984

Here is one of the few YouTube clips I found:

If you see a copy of this record somewhere, I would recommend it even at full price... unless the full price is in the ballpark of what this disc apparently sells for on Amazon. Hint, it's between $55 and $125 depending on who you buy from! :eek:

If you to borrow my copy, hit me up. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Nov 7, 2010
  3. Mark Wein :mad:

They kind of remind me of Fountains of Wayne, too!
  4. Nov 7, 2010
  5. I don't think I've ever heard a Fountains of Wane song. Maybe I'll have to head over to YouTube and check them out.
  6. Nov 7, 2010
  7. Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  8. Nov 7, 2010
  9. Mark Wein :mad:

I just realized I need to find my copy of this album :weebz:
  10. Nov 7, 2010
  11. I didn't realize that was the "Stacy's Mom" band. I'll have to check out some of their other stuff, because I had kind of written them off based on their radio play. :cool:

In related news, we're going to have to recruit my buddy Doug to poast here. His comment from this thread's doppelganger over at Facebook:

12. Nov 7, 2010
  13. Mark Wein :mad:

It sounds like he'd be pretty cool to have around :)
  14. Nov 7, 2010
  15. Denverdave Resident Ragamuffin

Velvet Crush is another great power pop band and pretty unknown. Matthew Sweet produced one or two of their releases. I will check this songs out later...
  16. Nov 7, 2010
  17. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

Speaking of Big Star and Teenage Fanclub, I've known a couple who thought this was a Big Star song the first time I played it for them:
  18. Nov 7, 2010
  19. Tralfaz Pheasant Plucker

20. Nov 8, 2010
  21. Dew Knot Hump Sausager

That would be a mistake, Fountains of Wayne rule. The only negative aspect of that band is that fanuvbrak is a big fan. :cheese:
  22. Nov 8, 2010
  23. Dew Knot Hump Sausager

24. Nov 8, 2010
  25. Sad Navigator Banned

That Orange Humble stuff is pretty alright.

Fountains of Wayne makes me wanna feed 'em into a woodchipper. Don't know why. Doesn't help that > 70% of REAL LIFE FoW fans I've ever met have been total fuckfaces. Like Weezer fanbois crossed with accountants and Dawkins obsessives. Don't know exactly why, but a totally obnoxious fan base.
  26. Nov 8, 2010
  27. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

That is such a great song.
  28. Nov 8, 2010
  29. Dew Knot Hump Sausager

Indeed.