Do you like Big Star, Cheap Trick and/or early R.E.M.? Then let me tell you about...

Cheese Grits

Kick Henry Jackassowski
The Orange Humble Band. :cool:

e11231zyt6i.jpg

I picked up this album yesterday out of the "Richard's Power Pop Recommendations" bin at my buddy's now-dead record store (God rest its corporate soul). I was told that I would "like it" if I "liked Big Star," and then Donnie (the clerk) dumped it into a stack of CDs I was holding. I actually ended up with lots of CDs this way, but I digress.

I DO like Big Star, and I DO like this album for lots of the same reasons. There are lots of good harmonies, vocal hooks and poppy, lush, jangly rhythm guitars. Because the record is more modern than Big Star by a couple decades, the production sounds nicer, but the overall style and quality is very similar. According to a number of sources, they recruited some Big Star members to help with their second record. So, there you go. Also, my wife likes it, so it passes that test.

Here is the Allmusic page with some streaming clips: http://allmusic.com/album/assorted-creams-r373984

Here is one of the few YouTube clips I found:

If you see a copy of this record somewhere, I would recommend it even at full price... unless the full price is in the ballpark of what this disc apparently sells for on Amazon. Hint, it's between $55 and $125 depending on who you buy from! :eek:

If you to borrow my copy, hit me up. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've ever heard a Fountains of Wane song. Maybe I'll have to head over to YouTube and check them out.

I just realized I need to find my copy of this album :embarrassed:

I didn't realize that was the "Stacy's Mom" band. I'll have to check out some of their other stuff, because I had kind of written them off based on their radio play. :cool:

In related news, we're going to have to recruit my buddy Doug to poast here. His comment from this thread's doppelganger over at Facebook:

Doug said:
Doug Daniel
The obvious choice when dealing with Big Star is the Posies, since Alex chose Jon and Ken to make up the rest of the band for the reunions. Teenage Fanclub is another good choice, especially "Bandwagonesque". The Bangles have a good cover... of "September Girls" on their biggest hit album whose name escapes me. Nashville's Bill Lloyd called his 80's backing band the December Boys and his early releases like "Feeling the Elephant" definitely show a Big Star influence and are good pop records, as well.

I have had many conversations with Hans from the Shazam about Cheap Trick and if anyone doesn't have "Godspeed the Shazam" and likes power pop, then they should definitely get that.

For early REM fans, I suggest the Byrds records, if they haven't given them a good listen. Also Velvet Underground naturally. Game Theory from the 80s put out a couple of really good REM-ish records.

In fact, as I read this again, most of the Paisley Underground bands would be a great suggestion (Green on Red, The Three O'Clock, etc).

Also how about the NC bands like the DBs, Let's Active, Don Dixon and Spongetones.

You got me going.

Velvet Crush is another great power pop band and pretty unknown. Matthew Sweet produced one or two of their releases. I will check this songs out later...

Speaking of Big Star and Teenage Fanclub, I've known a couple who thought this was a Big Star song the first time I played it for them:

That Orange Humble stuff is pretty alright.

Fountains of Wayne makes me wanna feed 'em into a woodchipper. Don't know why. Doesn't help that > 70% of REAL LIFE FoW fans I've ever met have been total fuckfaces. Like Weezer fanbois crossed with accountants and Dawkins obsessives. Don't know exactly why, but a totally obnoxious fan base.

Back