Do you have a Les Paul killer?

So what is it about Les Paul's that you guys don't like? Scale, weight, bridge?
I thought that I hated them until I spent time playing one.
I don't hate them, as a whole. I don't find them to the the most comfortable guitars to play, ergonomically (sharp edges, no belly cut, and in some cases excessive weight), but I think they're often beautiful and can sound amazing.

So what is it about Les Paul's that you guys don't like? Scale, weight, bridge?
I thought that I hated them until I spent time playing one.

I love the sound of Les Pauls when others play them, they just don't work for me. I had one many years ago. I ran through 10 or so band practices with it, then 1 show and I couldn't get it to sound good at all. Then there is the carved top, I don't like those, my forearm scrapes against it while playing and my arm is wrecked after any substantial time playing. That may not be an issue anymore though, I don't strum the way I did 20 years ago. Lastly, this doesn't apply just to Les Pauls, but just about every set neck guitar I have played. The neck is angled back a bit. It is just enough to make my wrist hurt while playing, bad enough that if I play for a while, I can't really play guitar for a few days afterwards. What a drag it is getting old.

Any guitar, no matter how fine the craftsmanship, becomes a blunt tone dispenser in my hands.

I love the sound of Les Pauls when others play them, they just don't work for me. I had one many years ago. I ran through 10 or so band practices with it, then 1 show and I couldn't get it to sound good at all. Then there is the carved top, I don't like those, my forearm scrapes against it while playing and my arm is wrecked after any substantial time playing. That may not be an issue anymore though, I don't strum the way I did 20 years ago. Lastly, this doesn't apply just to Les Pauls, but just about every set neck guitar I have played. The neck is angled back a bit. It is just enough to make my wrist hurt while playing, bad enough that if I play for a while, I can't really play guitar for a few days afterwards. What a drag it is getting old.

This is why my carved tops are the bevel carves more than a traditional recarve. That low area in the recarve makes the edge feel extra sharp imo. The bevel carve is more like having a giant arm contour.

To be fair, sonically my Dean Evo gets me there. It does what I want a LP to do and does it well. However I still look at it and wish it was a black lp custom or a tobacco burst standard.

Les Pauls are fine guitars, but the only ones that I get into at all, or the Jrs. and Specials. The Standards, and to an extent the Customs, don't do much for me at all. I remember playing a gig, where as a favor to our bass player, I used his brother's Les Paul Studio (his brother played guitar, but didn't do the band thing) for a few songs, so his brother could have the pleasure of seeing his guitar in action, up onstage. It was a nice guitar, but seemed kind of blah to me.

I've got 4 Les Paul's, and haven't found anything that kills them. But, many of you know that I prefer Les Paul's, so...

That said, if Doug wants to help a brother out with one of his, I'd be glad to play it on the road in front of lots of people! :grin:

image.jpg

I’d like an LP, but it wouldn’t really serve a purpose for what I do and play, and money is gonna be tight for me the next three years.
If/when I do get one, I’ll probably be an Agile since I can get one with a 1-3/4” nut which I really like.

Back