Do you have a Les Paul killer?

I've got a Studio and an Agile 3100. As things are I'm liking the Studio more but I'm pretty sure that if I swapped the pickups from the Studio to the Agile I'd be just as happy.

Not necessarily, but I think it can be any guitar. Basically, as has been covered, it's all about preference. A great example for me is Warren Haynes. I think he's a great player and he's spent time on PRSs, LPs, Strats, and most recently ES-335s. They all sound great and they all sound like Warren. Similarly, Betts used a McCarty for a while and in blindfold test I doubt anyone could tell whether he was playing the PRS or his Goldtop. Roy Buchanan was Roy regardless of LP Custom, '52 Tele, late CBS era Tele, of the Fritz Brothers Buchanan model. Even on the acoustic end, McLaughlin and DiMeola went from playing the now much reviled Ovation acoustics on the original Trio albums to playing top of line Wetchers and the like and still sound like themselves regardless of the materials and build quality of the instruments.

So it's really the tool that best facilitates your playing/expression. The individual musician cares infinitely more than the listener ever will. For my dual HB needs it's two PRSes, 89/90 Custom and a 94 CE-22 maple top...oh, also a MIJ '69 Thinline with a Barden bridge pup and a neck SD 59. They all sound equally bad in my hands.:thu:

If the criteria is simply a dual bucker guitar, yes. However, I'm not certain that criteria can adequately convey the many characteristics of what makes the LP unique.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I've never been grabbed by the LP bug, but someday I will have to own a Goldtop. Still undecided on P-90 vs humbuckers, though.

I've never been grabbed by the LP bug, but someday I will have to own a Goldtop. Still undecided on P-90 vs humbuckers, though.
P-90
Mike%20Ness%20Gold%20Top_Ahlers%20Dedication7x4.jpg

I don't have anything in the ballpark right now but have for several years been on the lookout for an old MIJ Ibanez Artist doublecut in good condition. If I can find one I like I think it will be my Les Paul killer. Otherwise I get along fine without one.

My 1983 Carvin DC 100 is more of an SG killer I guess, tho it's a good bit brighter than an SG or LP. But it can approach those sounds with the tone control and the right amp. It's really more of a tele in disguise. Being all maple you can get some real tele snap despite the 24.75" scale and the humbuckers. Truly the most versatile guitar I own.

I like LPs well enough. I had a stock Epi LP Custom for 2-3 years. Good feeling and playing guitar. With some better pickups and wiring it would have been a great one. Sold it to fund other GAS after a while because with the Carvin there was really no need for it.

My fav sounding LPs are the Deluxes with the mini hums.

Back