Do you have a killer Les Paul?

Yep, I do...

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02907.jpg

i always kinda liked that finish.
I really didn't. My wife talked me into trying it out during a trip to Center City music and it sounded so much better than anything else in the store we had to take it home. Its grown on me since.

i've owned several Gibson Les Pauls over the years, and they were mostly all great, IMO (that's why I bought them in the first place). a few are real stand-outs, and this one is really special.

w00GibsonR9-002.jpg

i bought this 2000 '59 Reissue Les Paul from a friend of a friend (of a friend). i heard it before i saw it, and thought "that is a killer sounding guitar". then i finally saw it and my jaw dropped... two kidneys later, it was mine. i suppose one day i'll cover the pickups, but it sounds so good as-is, i'm not all that motivated. The neck is really big and chunky (more like a R8 or R7 then any other R9 I've played). the whole guitar is acoustically very "alive" in a way i wouldn't normally equate with a solid body instrument. the pickups are Sheptone "Tribute" PAFs and they are perfect for this guitar. i definitely haven't babied this guitar, but it hasn't been abused. the cherry back and neck has faded over time. the top as also color-shifted to more of a butterscotch or amber color. it's definitely got a cool vibe to it, that my hack pictures can't capture. Hopefully you can dig it.

w00GibsonR9-003.jpg

w00GibsonR9-013.jpg

w00GibsonR9-015.jpg

w00GibsonR9-017.jpg

w00GibsonR9-023.jpg

w00GibsonR9-027.jpg

i've owned several Gibson Les Pauls over the years, and they were mostly all great, IMO (that's why I bought them in the first place). a few are real stand-outs, and this one is really special.

w00GibsonR9-002.jpg

i bought this 2000 '59 Reissue Les Paul from a friend of a friend (of a friend). i heard it before i saw it, and thought "that is a killer sounding guitar". then i finally saw it and my jaw dropped... two kidneys later, it was mine. i suppose one day i'll cover the pickups, but it sounds so good as-is, i'm not all that motivated. The neck is really big and chunky (more like a R8 or R7 then any other R9 I've played). the whole guitar is acoustically very "alive" in a way i wouldn't normally equate with a solid body instrument. the pickups are Sheptone "Tribute" PAFs and they are perfect for this guitar. i definitely haven't babied this guitar, but it hasn't been abused. the cherry back and neck has faded over time. the top as also color-shifted to more of a butterscotch or amber color. it's definitely got a cool vibe to it, that my hack pictures can't capture. Hopefully you can dig it.

w00GibsonR9-003.jpg

w00GibsonR9-013.jpg

w00GibsonR9-015.jpg

w00GibsonR9-017.jpg

w00GibsonR9-023.jpg

w00GibsonR9-027.jpg
I love the funky grain. I'm not a fan of flamey maple so perfect that it looks like a photo and not a piece of wood.

I really didn't. My wife talked me into trying it out during a trip to Center City music and it sounded so much better than anything else in the store we had to take it home. Its grown on me since.

i think it probably had more detractors than fans, but i have always thought its a nice alternative to the more common "classic" bursts. it's got a certainly classiness all its own.

I love the funky grain. I'm not a fan of flamey maple so perfect that it looks like a photo and not a piece of wood.

thank you. same here - as far as figured tops go, i like ones that have "character" to them. at heart, i'm more a plain top guy - but i am a sucker for a great flame top with some personality to it.

w00GibsonR9-002.jpg

w00GibsonR9-003.jpg

w00GibsonR9-013.jpg

w00GibsonR9-015.jpg

w00GibsonR9-017.jpg

w00GibsonR9-023.jpg

w00GibsonR9-027.jpg
Oh, I can dig it. :love:

I think mine is pretty killer but definitely not as beautiful as some of the ones in this thread. It is just a plain old black LP Studio but it plays and sounds amazing. It has been to hell and back with the scars to prove it. I need to get some good pics of it. The ones I have aren't worth showing anybody.

Back