Do you guys clean your maple fretboards?

Also remember that those old Strats and Teles that famous guys have played for years, the fretboard looks like that because they've worn through the thin lacquer finish so the dirt and oils soak into the pores in the maple.

It'll take many, many years to wear through a modern finish.

I wash my Hands. No dirty Hands, no dirty fretboard.

thats not true. I wash my hands at least 100 time a day and my fretboard still accumulates dead skin, oils, and other nasties.

I clean mines with naptha every few months but I dont go apeshit.
in spots where the finish has worn away I try to leave the darkness as it looks cool.
naphtha will get rid of al the darkness if you want but it looks kind of silly.

thats not true. I wash my hands at least 100 time a day and my fretboard still accumulates dead skin, oils, and other nasties.

in spots where the finish has worn away I try to leave the darkness as it looks cool.
When people ask what my necks are finished with I tell them "dead skin, body oils, and sweat, but not a lot of oil and sweat cuz my hands are really dry".

I've played my maple Board for 11years now rotating with my other guitars. The fretboard is a deeper Color from the oils, but not dirty looking. Can't tell you why.

Back