Do you guys clean your maple fretboards?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I'm about to change strings again on my Stu D. Baker. I haven't done anything to the fretboard the other times I've changed strings on it, and I figure even though I can't see it there's probably a bit of dirt on the fretboard now.

What do you guys do to clean maple fretboards?

We've all seen those Strats and Teles that famous players have where there is a ton of dirt on the fretboard. I want to try and keep mine clean if I can :embarrassed:

MN103-5c6e505450f9e346c8de6571d170cf46.jpg

For something like that, where the maple is coated in poly, I just use the same pump spray cleaner I do on the body.

I put something called Guitar Honey (I think) on my rosewood fretboards so they don't get dry but not for the maple. I do have some guitar polish..not sure what it's called I've had it for ages not even sure you can still buy it but it pinkish in colour. I use a bit on the neck when I change strings which lately have been far too infrequent, so maybe a couple of times a year.

When I had my HM Series Strat I used to clean it every once in a will with a toothbrush that I dipped in a cup of warm water with a single drop of dish soap. Probably not recommended since there wasn't much finish on the board, but it got the board clean and I never had any problems with the neck. I didn't drench it and I did dry off each fret or pair of frets with a rag or paper towel immediately after I got the gunk off the frets/fretboard. So, no significant amount of water got sucked back into the board.

Yeah, for a poly coated fretboard, just whatever you use on the body.

For my raw or oil finished fretboards, I'll use lemon oil. They still get dirty though.

I clean it the same way I do the body of the guitar - either Dr. Ducks or polish. I don't subscribe to the keep the dirt on concept. My 90 ASAT Classic and my 86 MIJ Strat play like a dream.

I wipe it down with a towel, but that's it.
Exactly this.

I am pretty sure that all of my maple fretboard equipped guitars are clear coated. I can't think of one that isn't.

When I do a string change, I will sometimes wipe it down with a damp cloth, but honestly. .. there usually isn't any dirt or grossness on the cloth afterwards.

Back