Do we have any Adobe Illustrator experts around?

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
For all that I do in Photoshop, I absolutely SUUUUCK at Illustrator.

I've managed to build a few logos and such, but when I start trying to put gradients and paths.... Oh boy can I fuck up a file fast.

:embarrassed:

I have been using it on and off for professional purposes for over 10 years. What you need to know?

I have Illustrator on my work computer and have accidentally opened it a few times. I'm pretty familiar with the exit menu.

If wok and tgk03 can't help you, don't look at me.

So... @wok I have this logo I created (I made it in photoshop, exported it as shapes and shit and turned it into an AI.) The black and white has worked well for window clings and such....

http://baimun.home.comcast.net/~baimun/SandbarLogo.ai

But I colorized it in Photoshop (orange outlines... It's navy blue instead of black... gradients in the lettering.... but fuck me if I can't do this in AI. I got the gradient thing... was able to select the white areas and apply a blue-to-light blue gradient (there were a few little fucked up areas... but I CAN'T select just the black turtle and put an orange outline around it. I keep getting ALL the shapes. :gah:

SBBblueturtle.png

I tried sending the sticker/banner people the PNG but they need an AI so their vinyl cutter knows the shape to cut out the shapes with. :annoyed:

If I may interject:

When you exported, it draws the outside negative areas as shapes as well. It either groups the whole shebang or it behaves like compound paths. You can click on these separately and delete them.

I can fix in a jiffy, if you like. Also, your screen cutter might also want the outlines (strokes orange et al) converted to shapes.

Want me to do that for ya?

What tgk03 said. When you outline a bitmap image in Illustrator, it's guessing what your intentions are. What you think should be an stroke (outline) might end up being a fill, etc. Also, it groups everything together, creates negative areas, etc.

I suggest you let him tidy it up for you, which will also make it much easier for you to work with in future.

Generally you'd want to create this sort of thing in Illustrator from scratch rather than converting it from Photoshop (although I've also gone the conversion route on a number of occasions when it was the easier option and still gave satisfactory results).

Last edited:
If one of you could make the colored outline strokes and gradient fill, I would appreciate it.

I already had to re-create our name from scratch in Illustrator and that was a huge cluster fuck. :annoyed:

The only thing that may look weird at first is the tan highlights inside of the cleft.... it's because the way I made the turtle, the treble cleft is actually a cut out inside of the turtle, not a separate shape layered on top. On the black and white version, I'm able to make the cleft transparent. When I outlined the turtle, it made orange outlines there too... so I layered white cleft shapes over the top. I later realized I liked a little extra color in there so I made the clefts partially transparent so the light orange/tan came through. Don't know if that's a big deal, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Again... thank you wok, tgk, and irish... I'll stick to photoshop. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Here's the text that I created... if you look closely you see that there's a stroke around the inside of each letter that is also a gradient. :annoyed:

It eventually grew on me and I left it (or I said fuck it I don't care anymore) :helper:

SBBtext2.png

I'm having these made to make this life sized SURF BOARD as a wooden banner for the band.

Little known fact.... I chose the orange and navy blue in the logo because of the Detroit Tigers. :helper:

If neither of them want to do it, I will happily, but I've made the mistake of spending time on stuff like this only to find out that someone else had already done it. Similarly, I don't want to waste THEIR time.

Just say the word.

OK, assuming others were too busy at the moment I did a quick tidy up and sent it to baimun. Hope I didn't tread on anyone's toes.

Back