Disney releasing unaltered blu ray of the original 3 Star Wars movies?

I don't mind any of the subtle additions in A New Hope... I just don't like the Han Solo /Greedo edit.

The only other parts that really piss me off are Anakin instead of Old Darth being the Force Ghost, and the Noooooooooo added to Jedi. The latter by itself kept me from purchasing any of the blue ray sets released so far.

I don't mind any of the subtle additions in A New Hope... I just don't like the Han Solo /Greedo edit.

The only other parts that really piss me off are Anakin instead of Old Darth being the Force Ghost, and the Noooooooooo added to Jedi. The latter by itself kept me from purchasing any of the blue ray sets released so far.
The only edit that really bugged me (as a person who's seen each of the original trilogy 1-3 times) was Han stepping on Jabba's tail.

I'd be psyched. My cousin just gave me a set of dvd's he dubbed off of VHS of the unedited 4-6.

A bunch of the additions bother me, but none more than that dumb cgi music video they stuck in Jabba's Palace.

Which subtle additions are we talking about? Robots hitting each other on the head? CGI Jabba strolling briskly around the Millennium Falcon? Han Solo stepping on Jabba's tail? Jawas falling off their Ronto?

Anyhow, doesn't matter to me since I don't have a blu-ray player. I do have the unedited original trilogy on laserdisc, but my LD player broke 10 years ago.

Reactions: Tig
Which subtle additions are we talking about?..

Extra crowds in Mos Eisley, cleaned up halos around spaceships, and other things where the narration didn't change. I thought the Jabba bit was a little silly, but it was shot for the original movie, just not included so that one doesn't bother me as much even though it's kinda goofy.

I've watched the edited versions of 4, 5, & 6 only once. I appreciated filling in a few gaps, but none of it was really necessary. Just another money grab in a long line of editions.

How many times have they re-released the 4,5,6 movies? The original VHS/Betamax, then DVD, then HD DVD, then HD DVD wide screen, then HD DVD wide screen director's edition (edited), then Bluray, and next up will be 3D versions. :facepalm:

Extra crowds in Mos Eisley, cleaned up halos around spaceships, and other things where the narration didn't change. I thought the Jabba bit was a little silly, but it was shot for the original movie, just not included so that one doesn't bother me as much even though it's kinda goofy.

Well, it was shot for the original movie, but Jabba was a completely different kind of character then. By adding in this fast walking, smooth-talking, undersized Jabba to ANH, it ruins the impact of what should be the first sight of Jabba in ROTJ.

I did like the digital cleanup of the moving mattes. But pretty much every other change was stupid and intrusive. Star Wars came out in 1977, and it has the look and style of a 1977 movie, and all the fiddling about in the world was never going to change that.

Well, it was shot for the original movie, but Jabba was a completely different kind of character then. By adding in this fast walking, smooth-talking, undersized Jabba to ANH, it ruins the impact of what should be the first sight of Jabba in ROTJ.

I did like the digital cleanup of the moving mattes. But pretty much every other change was stupid and intrusive. Star Wars came out in 1977, and it has the look and style of a 1977 movie, and all the fiddling about in the world was never going to change that.

I agree. Its a good job Luke turns off the targetting computer before he launches the missiles using the force as the comp looked a bit shitty

I think this is good for posterity, but I've seen them all at least 10 times each (yet only once in the better part of the last two decades) and don't need to see them restored. Nine out of the 10 times for each was the original version and I only managed to catch the reworked New Hope in the theaters. By then the magic had waned significantly. In the past few years, however, my oldest became a bit enamored of the war in the stars, so we got to share that bit of fun. He won't notice the difference unless I point it out to him. Last year he blazed through the Harry Potter books, after which he got to watch the films. Then he read the Hobbit (and has watched the first two films...can't believe they stretched it to three) and has started the Lord of Rings. He definitely not as into it as he was Harry Potter, because he won't just sit and read any of it unless I ask him how it's going.

Anyway, he wants to see the new Star Wars and is annoyed that it'll take three years before he'll be able to. I'm there with him.

Explain please...

You know in the third prequel movie when Vader is told that Padme died during child birth and let out the cheesy "NOOOOOooooooooooooooooo............................."

Well, in the Blu Ray copies of Return of the Jedi, they added in that exact same "NOOOooooooooo.... " when the Emperor is trying to kill Luke with the lightning. :facepalm: That sucked bad enough in the prequel... but to ret-con that into the original trilogy? During the climax of all of the movies together? complete horseshit.

Reactions: Tig
You know in the third prequel movie when Vader is told that Padme died during child birth and let out the cheesy "NOOOOOooooooooooooooooo............................."

Well, in the Blu Ray copies of Return of the Jedi, they added in that exact same "NOOOooooooooo.... " when the Emperor is trying to kill Luke with the lightning. :facepalm: That sucked bad enough in the prequel... but to ret-con that into the original trilogy? During the climax of all of the movies together? complete horseshit.
In the original he let out a kind of metallic groan...so they overdubbed that? That's just...um...

...wow...

Back