Dismal Ax RedBird SC

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://rebel-guitars.com/dismal-ax-redwood/

ax1.jpg

This preowned Dismal Ax RedBird is constructed of a 2 piece Eastern Red Cedar, a quartersawn Cherry with Osage Orange fretboard & faux Turquoise position markers. Pickups are Kent Armstrong STLH-1 Lipstick single coils.

• Model: Redbird SC
  • Body: 2 Piece Eastern Red Cedar
  • Neck: Quartersawn Cherry
  • Fretboard: Osage Orange w/Faux Turquoise Position Markers
  • Nut Width: 1.68″
  • Neck Thickness: .84 at 1st Fret, .895 at 12th fret
  • Scale: 24.625″
  • Frets: Dunlop 6130
  • Bridge: Hipshot Contour
  • Tuners: Hipshot Classic
  • Pickups: Kent Armstrong STLH-1 Lipstick
  • Electronics: CTS 500K Tone & Vol Pots, 5-Way Switch
  • Mullard .015mf Tone Control Capacitor, .001mf Treble Bypass Capacitor w/Parallel 120k Resistor
  • Control Plate & Pickup Rings: Embossed Copper
  • Control Knobs: Q-Parts Ringo, Chrome w/Turquoise Buttons
  • Body Finish: Danish Oil, Shellac, Flat Waterbone Varnish
  • Neck Finish: Shellac
  • Hardware: Chrome
  • Case Included
  • Weight: 7.4lbs
$1895.00 + Shipping

I would prefer it with a different finish or wood choice. Knot digging the knots. I like the pickup layout, despite the middle pickup failboat.

Don't care for the middle pickup but I like this guy's work. Very cool stuff and he prices pretty reasonably for what he does. Half the price of most of the boutique tele clones we see...

I kind of like it. The Osage Orange fretboard seems a little stark to me. It would be interesting to see an option of that, or a darker fretboard. Overall, I'd pull it off the wall for a test drive.

Single coil pickup mounting ring failboat.

I actually dig it in a 1970's way...I got a bunch of back issues from a friend of my mom in the early '80s and this reminds me of more than a few of the guitars that were "new" at the time. However, not enough to get passed the pup mounts.

To me it looks exactly like a Les Paul from that computer drawing program a few years ago where you could design your own Les Paul, from color, wood choices, hardware, etc.

Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and if so, is that program still around somewhere?

Having said that, it looks nice enough, and if it played fantastic I'd give it a whirl. Not a bad price either, considering most of the other pricing from DAG, or a real Les Paul for that matter :embarrassed:

I kind of like the rustic look and I guess I could even live with the knots but I don't much care for the blotchy appearance of the body finish.

I like it. Dunno if I'd own it, but I like it. Even the lipsticks, which is totally out of character for me :eek:

Back