Dismal Ax Barnstormer SC #1407

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.destroyallguitars.com/new-arrivals-guitars/item/850-dismal-ax-barnstormer-sc-1407

$1,800.00

item is in stock

DESCRIPTION:
The Barnstormer features a double cutaway body, made from sections of salvaged beech, oak, elm or maple barn rafters. The edges of these sections are deeply hollowed out prior to gluing together, resulting in a rather lightweight and lively sounding instrument. The bolt on neck is walnut or maple, with an osage orange or persimmon fretboard. Dismal Ax's own compensated one-piece aluminum bridge holds the strings at one end, and Hipshot, Sperzel or Grover tuners at the other. Pickups are two or three Dismal Ax homespun mini humbuckers or single coils.

SPECS:
- Completed August, 2014
- Body: cucumbertree, with salvaged beech barnwood top
- Neck: bolt on, hard maple, with persimmon fretboard
- White position markers
- Inline headstock
- Stew-Mac #154 wide/high fretwire
- 25” scale, 22 frets
- Neck thickness: .81”@1st fret; .90”@12th fret
- Nut: Micarta
- Nut width: 1.7”, Slotted for 10-46 ga strings
- Weight: 7 lbs
- Finish: shellac and flat waterborne varnish

- Pickups: Dismal homespun single coils
- Bridge pickup: ~ 7.6K ohms
- Middle pickup: ~ 7K ohms
- Neck pickup: ~ 6.4K ohms
- 250k volume and tone pots (CTS)
- .015mf tone capacitor (Mullard)
- .001mf treble bypass capacitor with parallel 150k resistor
- Tuners: Grover Deluxe vintage style
- Bridge: brass hardtail
- Pickguard: black LE phenolic sheet
- Control knobs: vintage audio knobs, phenolic

PRICING INFO:
- $1,800.00

Interesting looking body wood. And not stupidly priced either. I like the salvaged wood usage a lot. Lose the middle pickup and it would be a lot nicer.

I like the look of the body wood. I'm really trying to like anything else but no, it's fugly.

I like the idea of recycled wood but just can't buy into the aged/mint condition look. The finish on the bridge and switch plate don't do much for me either. They just look to much like bathroom bronze.

Love the rustic loo, especially the back. Definitely one of my acquired tastes. I would love a reclaimed/barncaster style build one day.

That said, the doughy body shape not working for me.

Reactions: Tig
Back