Digital Distribution, Anyone?

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I have released my CD's through CreateSpace, an Amazon affiliate, who then made them available on Amazon. As of October, they will no longer offer MP3 service.

Who do you deal with for digital distribution? CD Baby charges $49 per album, but I don't know that I would ever make that much money in digital sales.

Thanks, Mark. CD Baby talks about CD distribution as well. Do you know if this is more money? The website is rather vague.

Anyone familiar with TuneCore? They were another one recommended by Amazon.

Thanks, Mark. CD Baby talks about CD distribution as well. Do you know if this is more money? The website is rather vague.

Anyone familiar with TuneCore? They were another one recommended by Amazon.
I just paid a flat rate. They sell my CD's through their store and through one other online storefront.

You're not just giving it away? Sheesh, man. What happened to free love? :grin:

Could ask Peeker. He sells his albums for $3 a pop on his website. I think it's just a simple Paypal store.

I'm not the guy who handles this for us, but we use CDBaby, and they push us through to Amazon, Google Music, and iTunes. I'm not sure what our rate is, or if they are carrying hard copies for us.

I know a lot of folks are using Bandcamp, and I think they can move both digital and IRL content. @Kerouac ?

You're not just giving it away? Sheesh, man. What happened to free love? :grin:

Could ask Peeker. He sells his albums for $3 a pop on his website. I think it's just a simple Paypal store.
I kinda need presence on Amazon. Some of the local radio shows that might play my stuff post a playlist that then links folks to Amazon to purchase music.

Mostly I sell CDs at gigs, but it does help to have an online presence. My CDs will remain on Amazon through CreateSpace, but not the digital format.

I guess I will go with CD Baby, but just for Luna Dreams and Stardust and Shadows. (And maybe for Little Red Songbook.)

Thanks, folks.

Back