Different turnings

Packerbacker

Grandpa Whine
Just a dumb question. Virtually every song I know is in standard tuning. Lately I've been getting into early Black Sabbath. Virtually every song is 1 and 1/2 steps down in tuning or thereabouts. Do I learn it by ear using normal tuning? Or tune down? I know tuning down gives it a deeper tone but I only have one guitar and I think it's a PITA to tune/retune when I move on to a different song. Thoughts?

it really depends on who yer playing with.....if you've got a keyboard in the band......and it happens to be a B-3.....yer fucked.....NO WAY to tune that down.

but if it's just a 3 piece....tune down....so what.....play everthing that way.....or stay in normal tuning and just play the song.

i don't tune down to cover SRV or Jimi....i just play it the way they did, and it's a half step up, technically.....who's gonna know.

I play with myself. thwap0 Almost all tab is written for dropped tuning. Actually I think this is a good time to work on my ear. You bring up a good point tho- if I learn it in standard I might be screwed when I jam with others.

If you have a couple guitars, it's sometimes easier to just one in your alternate tuning rather than constantly re-tuning your #1. If you're working off one guitar, I like to just play in that tuning for a block of time so you minimize the number of times I'm drastically re-tuning as it will contribute some metal fatigue to your strings and wear them out faster.

The main issue I have with it the fact that without retuning you're learning all the riffs out of position, and you have to play all of the open position chords an octave higher...to properly play Sabbath you HAVE to tune down, unless your singer can handle the 1.5 step jump in key...

- Black Sabbath (Standard Tuning)
- Paranoid (Standard Tuning)
- Master Of Reality (One and a half step down) Except "After Forever" (Full Step Down)
- Vol. 4 (One and a half step down) Except "Laguna Sunrise" (Standard Tuning)
- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (One and a half step down) Except "Fluff" (Standard Tuning)
- Sabotage (One and a half step down) Except "Supertzar" (Standard Tuning)
- Technical Ecstasy (Standard Tuning)
- Never Say Die (Standard Tuning)

- Black Sabbath (Standard Tuning)
- Paranoid (Standard Tuning)
- Master Of Reality (One and a half step down) Except "After Forever" (Full Step Down)
- Vol. 4 (One and a half step down) Except "Laguna Sunrise" (Standard Tuning)
- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (One and a half step down) Except "Fluff" (Standard Tuning)
- Sabotage (One and a half step down) Except "Supertzar" (Standard Tuning)
- Technical Ecstasy (Standard Tuning)
- Never Say Die (Standard Tuning)
Thanks!!

I've got an Ibanez that I can set up specifically for drop tunings. How imperative is it that I tune to C# standard? Can I get away with dropped C# for Sabbath?

I've got an Ibanez that I can set up specifically for drop tunings. How imperative is it that I tune to C# standard? Can I get away with dropped C# for Sabbath?
You may have a bit of trouble translating some of the riffs to it, but for chord work dropped C# might actually make it easier...

Back